Do the French like the British ?

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]I don't think there is the same pettiness in France as the Uk when it comes to regions and being from and not from that region.

In terms of Bretagne, it is bigger than ALL of Yorkshire (where they squabble between themselves), Lake District, Tyne and Wear, Manchester and Liverpool.

It is hardly the same.[/quote]

Well, you would say that wouldn't you ... as it conflicts with your personal view ... and, of course, you are the only person who lives in real France, aren't you ?

Sue - shaking head in askance at your idiotic refusal to even consider any view other than your own.

Quite  a few of the places you mention in the UK that the Frence love, or know about, have literary connections, or they can easily fly there on the "lo-cost".  Otherwise, they may have family living there.... when I say I used to live in London (as you can see from my sig) I was very central, and these relatives are usually to be found in the stix.  They like some parts like Yorkshire also, but why, I have never yet found out. Oxford, Cambridge, London, Edinburgh (easy to fly to from here, on my last flight to Edinburgh, no I am not from there, just was going to a meeting, there were as many if not more French than English.  I also suspect (it was early Sept) that there were a lot of students going back, one was certainly studying something medical on the computer ... they book the front seats so they can get out quickly, which is not much use in Edinburgh as it is a bus trip back to the airport, so they are actually "first on bus, last off bus".  Makes me laugh everytime.

When my French neighbour stayed in my English house while I was in France, he was taken to our local by my neighbour. The landlord asked him what he would like and he replied that he had no idea about English beer and asked what they would recommend. He doesn't speak a word of English by way. The landlord put a small amount of every beer he had into a row of glasses which he lined up on the bar and my French neighbour now speaks very highly of English beer.

In the interests of historical accuracy it was the French who burned Jeanne d'Arc.

Well in the Alpes, the savoyards are tres fier of being savoyards. And have, in general, well defined feelings about folks from other departments.

I knew people from all over France, because, I as say, they moved to the region I lived in because there was work. Apart from those from west of Marseille, and me not have a good ear for language, could never tell the different accents, although, isn't that how french is supposed to be, that was the post revolution goal, that all spoke the same french ?

And the bretons, as a general rule, lovely lovely warm people. We holidayed in Brittany quite a bit and went to specific organised do's and they were all so poorly organised, it was literally laughable, and we had a good laugh always, we relaxed and knew that everything would be done in it's own sweet time. We have friends from Ireland and England who have performed in Brittany, and they have said that they were supposed to EG go on stage at 9 and it was 10.30 or later before they did. However, they still loved performing there. AND if I had to move back to France, there is no other place I would live apart from Brittany and preferably the north coast, just love it.

Do the french like the british. Come on, listen to french news, if it is bad, then it is Angleterre, good, then they may say Grande-Bretagne. And frankly in everyday conversation it is always les anglais. And yet, because of the soccer and rugby, people have a notion of Scotland and Wales, although I think that Ireland can confuse.

My feelings for years was that people from my native shores, disliked the french more than the french disliked the anglais. I remember us meeting some people from London and saying that we lived in France, this around 1985 and one bloke looking incredulous and asking why on earth we had made such a move.

Things changed later and when in England, and saying I lived in France and people would tell me it was their 'dream' to live in France, at which point I would ask them in french why, but they never parlez-vous'd. So was the idea of it and has to be said, the tv and the cheap property that was drawing them......... ?????  Things had certainly changed in the UK by then, that is for sure.

powerdiesal wrote:

<

''Through this they have discovered the beauty of the LD, real pubs, warm British beer etc. ''

Surely the ''warm British beer'' is an urban myth, no-one I know drinks 'warm' beer. >>

Definitely 'warm' beer compared with all the chilled beers available at local bars I've come across around us. I did put 'warm'...........

? ?

What a good thing I didn't type it today - it could have been anything! Champagne apero, port sauce with the duck, accompanied by a very pleasant red from the Gard, a Malaïgue, which also accompanied the cheese. Finished with coffee but I bowed out of the port. I'm pleased the others have sorted out washing all the pots!