Parisiens, you have my sympathy

mint

Actually, if memory serves, I'm pretty sure that this is not news, this has been happening for years one way or another and not just Paris, and I am pretty sure this has happened elsewhere.

Even when I lived in France, the cities not too far from me had pollution electric panneaux and speed reductions when the pollution got too high.

It is hardly as if there is not alternative transport in Paris, although it has to be said, that for some reason, people seem reluctant to use some of the bus routes....... that was on the news a few weeks ago.

[quote user="idun"]

It is hardly as if there is not alternative transport in Paris, although it has to be said, that for some reason, people seem reluctant to use some of the bus routes....... that was on the news a few weeks ago.

[/quote]

I can think of several situations where it's not easy unless using the car.

Say you are a musician and are due to play in a concert and your instrument is the harp, how the devil do you manage on the métro?

At least in London, you can pay the congestion charge and drive to your venue.

We are higher than central Paris and look down basically over the city. I can't begin to tell you how polluted it is today.

I can normally see the awful tower but it has disappeared. La defense (15 minute walk) is 'just' visible but basically everything is a high contrasty white haze as you look out the window.

Nice sunset this morning mind you.

Idun is right, this measure has been around as long as I can remember.

Nick P, yes foreign reg cars can drive into Paris. Still would not want to with the steering wheel on the wrong side.

Minty, you can catch a taxi with your big trumpet if you need to.

Buses are the best way to get around Paris. I never go by metro.

I personally only drive into Paris for entertainment. Other than that there is no real need to drive into 'central Paris' unless your job requires to. Remember, this only applies to certain areas.

When I lived in Lyon, the pollution was much worse.

Well, as someone who is not musical, OH is, and we have lots of friends who are musicians, from professional to semi to amateurs. One plays harp, and I agree, that would be awkward, but as they get paid for gigs, then surely in such a case, their fee should well cover transport costs??????

And we have two friends who are professional, and well known musicians who do not drive. Come to think of it, before we went to France, OH was semi and he didn't drive either[:D]

Pollution in the Alpes is terrible, the polluted air gets blocked, locked in.

ALBF, is the "mist" this morning due to polution or is it just the weather, do you think?

In the City airport in London this morning, there was something in the news about planes being unable to land (or maybe it says to take off) on account of heavy mist.

Thank goodness I don't like being in a city or even large town.  I don't think I'd be alive by now or at least be very ill with my asthma.  See, some of us are MUCH better off in the bled of the countryside because, well, it just suits us better[:D]

It's funny Wooly, I have never read a thread on an expat forum by expats living in a large town or city complaining about France. Why is that then ?

Bizarre, all I read is winging Brits living in rural France complaining about hunting, supermarkets, weather, driving, administration, rudeness, weather, I have crâp internet, weather, can't sell my house, my neighbours hate me, I hate my neighbours, too many brits, I can't sell my house, all the shops are closing down, too many Brits, narrow mindedness, too many brits, life is expensive, foncs, weather, driving, I can't watch Ice road truckers, I can't sell my house, to many Brits and this that and the bloôdy other.

Town/Cities in France = better quality of living in France.

Rural living UK = better quality of living in the UK

You will work it out one day.

Albf I am mystified, how come there was a lovely sunset in the morning?

Mint there's thick fog here in South East (U.K.) and our Swiss friend I believe is stuck between flights at Heathrow. Flights severely delayed due weather conditions.

On U.K news there was talk a few days ago about the bad levels of pollution in London. This time because of the spell of very cold weather and no wind to move the air at all.

albf, I really don't know where you get that list of misery from. You must be on the forum from hell.

The only valid point is that rural living in UK is good, but only (again) if you have money, a car and access. Stuck high up the Welsh mountains in the middle of winter ain't much fun, neither is Llanfairfechan.

I wonder where all these 'whinging Brits' are that albf reads about and speaks about on here.

I haven't met any; everyone I know, whether in bigger towns such as Nîmes, smaller towns, villages, hamlets or in the open countryside seem very content with their lives. The only people who I hear moaning are French or sometimes Belgian or Dutch; our French ex-prof used to say that the French were the world's worst moaners - but she's an Anglophile, lived in Leicester for a few years.

- Angloinfo (fantastic entertainment forum...well it used to be)

- Survive France (Funny face forum)

- French Entree (born again economists forum run by nutters)

- Here !!!

How many times do you see a positive 'day to day' living thread about France ?

How many negative threads to you see from those living in large towns or cities ?

Idun

You are from the Grenoble area.

When you drive down the autoroute into Grenoble from Voiron, do you remember the smell in times of high pollution ?

The smell !!! I can still smell it now. It sticks with you. Serious chemical pollution smell. It was truly horrible. It like toxic bad eggs.

I am not surprised the glaciers are melting.