Real life in rural France

chessie

Just to lighten everyone up -

and have a smile.

This is what I came across today in French newspaper - article written by Jonathan Miller (who's written a book - 'France on the Edge of a Nervous Breakdown') -

but this isn't a plug, as such, for the book.

http://www.thelocal.fr/20161212/ten-things-i-wish-i-knew-before-i-moved-to-rural-france

Made me smile;  reminded me of the many comments on here about French life, and what we've all experienced out here, from the cheek kissing (2 or 3); the milk; the supermarkets, the tough and tasteless beef.

Anyway, have quick read - and smile.

Happy Christmas - Chessie

Why do think houses are so cheap ? LOL

That is not 'real' life in 'real' France to be fair.

I remember years back asking my in-laws when they were just about to retire why they did not move to rural France for their retirement.

There was a deadly silence, and everyone in the room froze and trundle weeds started blowing through the room.

How idiot did I look ?

Well, some things I do recognise there. French chic, yep, in the cities I know well, certainly plenty of chic people.

In my village, there were a few ladies who were very chic, others contented themselves to look like a veuve portugaise, at least that is what the locals used to say to describe someone dressed in a mishmash of clothes, ie colours and styles and not chic. Which was strange as most were dressed like that.

And the men no better really, once out of their bleus.

I used to be able to buy  good rosbif, but for the french I would have over cooked it, and the boeuf a braiser  was usually good.  The only piece of beef we could cook pink and was tender was a cote de boeuf, and that on the bbq. Steak, best really to have steak hache from my local butcher, not the supermarket.

The thing that I still have not got used to is High Street shops closing at 5 in the UK. For some reason, I still often get into town at around four and can get little done. I am used to just popping out at that time and have to 'plan' to go out earlier. I don't like High Street hours here, and didn't mind shops closing from 12-14 or later. And OH is the same, sometimes he needs stuff, usually DIY stuff and I ask why he hasn't gone to get it, and he says that he'll wait till they open at 14h.It sort of feels unnatural to us for lunch time not to be just that.

We are fortunate here as the Butcher we use, an English chap, hangs his beef for 21 days and even sells UK rare breed beef.

As for the rest of his tales of woe, it seems familiar, especially the locals not wanting to speak of the past. Some old stories are too embarrassing apparently.

[quote user="idun"]

The thing that I still have not got used to is High Street shops closing at 5 in the UK. For some reason, I still often get into town at around four and can get little done. I am used to just popping out at that time and have to 'plan' to go out earlier. I don't like High Street hours here, and didn't mind shops closing from 12-14 or later. And OH is the same, sometimes he needs stuff, usually DIY stuff and I ask why he hasn't gone to get it, and he says that he'll wait till they open at 14h.It sort of feels unnatural to us for lunch time not to be just that.

[/quote]

Absolutely, every time I am back in the UK, I always get caught out ...