A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing?

Gardian

Down here in the South, you don't see much livestock - at least certainly not when it starts to get really warm. In the winter, occasionally some cattle or sheep grazing in one of the fields.

About a week ago, a flock of sheep turned up in one of the fields that I pass every morning. Nothing especially unusual about that, except that amongst them was a sheep-size dog. He was white and 'wooly' and the sheep seemed to be completely calm about him in their midst.

I thought that I must have been 'seeing things', but he was there again this morning. The field belongs to a local vigneron and one can only assume that the dog is part of the family and decides to bimble down and have a chat with the sheep every morning. Makes a change!

However, I just thought that sheep were paranoid about dogs in close proximity. Obviously not.

It's probably a Maremma or the Pyrenean equivalent. They are sheep guardians. They live alongside the sheep and protect them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maremma_Sheepdog

The woman that bred our cattle dog is also breeding Maremma now and they guard their sheep in the Coreze. They are lovely dogs..very independent and very protective. They will eat their food in small portions to save some for later, but they can also be obstinate and difficult to train. My brother used to have one as a pet.

Lindal & Pat ..........

Fantastic - thank you both very much for the explanation.

I've googled both Maremma & Pyrennean Mountain Dog - no idea which breed it is, but they're both strongly related and it doesn't matter.

Its fascinating and something that had never occurred to me. As you know, there are certainly (re-introduced) wolves in the Pyrenees and quite possibly in the Cevennes. The latter is the most likely origin of this flock, being more or less on the doorstep. No wolves around here that I'm aware of, but certainly foxes and they would be a problem if these are ewes close to lambing. Thank you very much for the information.

They're back again!

I'm certain that its an enclosed field, so its not as though they slipped off into another area. Perhaps they went in to town for a few pints!

I told our Belgian neighbour about them and being a bit of an animal freak, he took some pics of the dog. Very friendly apparently.

I'll post them when he forwards them to me.

Wooly wrote:

"out and about looking for love?"

One poultry farmer here had one, a female, and a tiny little collie who was her 'husband'. When she came on heat she used to wander all over the commune looking for a mate, but if another dog approached her the little collie would stand under her belly, growling.

Our foster dog tried it on with her once but he couldn't reach [:D]. I don't think her husband could either, so she never had any pups.

[URL=http://s593.photobucket.com/user/gardian830/media/446a84b3-eb8e-4f41-af6e-d49a0b6832d3_zpshdxwl7fz.jpg.html][IMG]http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt15/gardian830/446a84b3-eb8e-4f41-af6e-d49a0b6832d3_zpshdxwl7fz.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Here he is !