Naturally apathetic/lazy

I have owned a house in central France for 14 years. Particularly since I retired, I spend as much time there as possible, although not as much as in the UK.

I have carried on as if Brexit didn't exist, using my block booking with Eurotunnel to flit back and forth. What, if anything, should I have done/be doing to enable this happy arrangement to continue?

I thought your title was describing me!

We have acquired International Driving Permits and the dog has had a successful blood test.

Our trips avoid the Brexit deadlines.

we will probably get Green cards for the car insurance as soon as some deal is finally done.

Everything else just carries on as normal.

Alistair

We've done the same as you Napolean. International Permits, already got green cards. We haven't got a dog, although if we get chucked out the commune will have to feed the lodger, a cat that has realised we are mugs and allows us to feed her and has taken up residence in our garden. Everything else? I don't think much will change, if it does we'll deal with it as it occurs. Interestingly my wife has an Irish passport so going through control may be a bit different. Although Portugal is starting to look appealing.

Did we need International licences before we joined the EU? But yes to the green card.

As NickP says, there will probably not be much change apart for a period of zeal on the French side for a month or so.

Areas where there might be problems could be fresh food like pies, sausages, meat, plants and the like.

Going into the UK there should be no problems unless there is a tit for tat duty hike.

WoolyB You did indeed need an IDP for Spain, not sure about France but I always carried one for Spain as well as my GB licence, as I often drove in both countries. The only country to look at it was Italy while going through the control in Ventimiglia while they held out their hand for a packet of Marlborough cigarettes. Which any driver who knew the ropes displayed on the dashboard.No fags meant waiting a couple of hours to get the carnet signed for the goods on the vehicle, a pack of snout meant arrivederci sharpish.

One of the bigger changes will be that you will probably have to start counting your days more carefully as the 90/180;days in the Schengen area will be enforced. There is however the possibility that a visa will actually make life easier for second home owners.

The huge changes will affect British people who want to move permanently to France to work as once the freedom of movement disappears finding employment will become much harder and setting up as self employed in France will be all but impossible.

As a retired Briton with a holiday home in France you probably won’t find a huge amount to worry about.

Reading about an International driving permit for Brits (i.e. on holiday OR living here if still holding GB licence) so that they can drive in France.
What about those of us who changed our licences for French ones some years ago: will we need an IDP to drive in the UK?
Seems to me it works (or doesn't both ways...)