Can I use English plumbing?

cassie

Have Permis to convert outbuilding into habitation in dept. 35.

Quotations for c.h., plumbing, electrics, etc. are double or more what we pay in u.k.

Can we just fit a pressure reducer and then plumb as per U. K. (i.e. 15 mm. pipe pretty much everywhere) and use U. K. appliances which, at least, have instructions in English?

Or not ?

AFAIK there is no inspection procedure for such things which means that you can do pretty much what you like, many others have gone down that route. You would probably be fitting a pressure regulator anyway.

The downside is that having a non French installation you might find it difficult to find anyone to service it and of course spares would have to be sourced from UK. Also it could possibly put a future buyer off.

I presume you know that UK style open header tanks are illegal in France so you would have to fit a pressurised system.

"I presume you know that UK style open header tanks are illegal in France so you would have to fit a pressurised system."

and a pressurised system needs thicker pipes to maintain the same level of integrety, and so French systems cost more. - a simplified view I know.

Nominal pressure in UK is around 4-5 bar but in France can often be 10 bar or even more, typically reduced to 3-3.5 bar which is the required level for most boilers.

Given that, I'm unconvinced that thicker wall pipe is really necessary in France nor the need for high tin solder or brazing as commonly practiced.

When I was looking to compare shower thermostatic mixers it said 2 bar for the UK but not being plumber it might mean you have to put a reducer in. I was also led to believe that copper pipe joints are brazed in France rather than soldered and the reason for this is the higher pressure.

I have 6 bar in England and only 2.4 bar in here in France, I wish it were the opposite as I have to supply showers on the 3rd floor.

I am using exclusively UK 15mm pipe and fittings within the apartments with French plastic pipe for the supplies.

The UK pipe is actually a recommended size in  EN1058 (which is marked on all French pipe) where I have some French copper joining to UK pipe I used a pipe expander to make a soldered sleeve joint.

There is a massive price differential between UK and French pipe, even more so for bends, tees, fittings, clarinets etc, the thing that I cannot stand with French pipe is that you have to anneal it before you can bend it.

UK pipe insulation is also much cheaper.

I used to work as an instrument maker making pressure instruments for the military.  10 bar is childes play lol, we used to make 1500bar transducers regularly, the fittings on the testers used for calibration were olives, ok we used to loose some now and again leaving holes in the ceiling but that was extreme pressure.   I will have to call one of my plumber friends to pick some brains I think.

In the early 70s when I was 'on the tools' we used to use a system whereby the nut was placed on the pipe and then an instrument was inserted in to the pipe and by turning a handle a ball bearing was forced out which placed a ridge / groove around the pipe. When the nut was tightened it flattened out the ridge / groove and this provided the seal. For some nagging reason the name Klingerite comes to mind.

Paul

[quote user="PaulT"]

In the early 70s when I was 'on the tools' we used to use a system whereby the nut was placed on the pipe and then an instrument was inserted in to the pipe and by turning a handle a ball bearing was forced out which placed a ridge / groove around the pipe. When the nut was tightened it flattened out the ridge / groove and this provided the seal. For some nagging reason the name Klingerite comes to mind.

Paul

[/quote]

Is that not how they make brake pipes for cars?