Climate Nimes/Avignon/Aix

Laurier

Hi

I'm wondering if someone can tell me what the weather is likely to be like in mid November in the above area. I have been around there before in mid October which was very wet, windy and a bit cold but the tourism offices assure me that 'everything is still open' and the weather is better in November than in October!! I have been out of season before to some places and found them like ghost towns so I wonder if the above towns are the same.  Further south in Cannes/Nice and Monte Carlo, I assume they would be 'all-year round' (?) but I'm just not sure about the above places inland.

Thanks in advance

Laurier

Laurier ...........

I have to say that the advice from the Tourist Office was probably accurate, though the weather is a fickle thing. (Evidence of that is the Autumnal-piddling-with-rain weather just now!)

I reckon that mid Sept - end Oct is wettish, but from Nov to mid-Dec, it can be really nice. Winter hasn't really come on, and whilst it's definitely jumper-weather, you won't freeze to death. We had lunch in the open air at a restaurant last November.

Don't get hung up about the wind either.  OK, when it blows, it isn't too clever, but it's by no means all the time nor that frequent. 

Thanks Guardian. Feel more confident now of taking some old folks there in Nov and the fact that you mention eating in a restaurant outside indicates that not everything will be shut though I know 'le petit train' won't be working in Avignon which is a shame. I suppose the larger towns keep 'open' after the April-Oct season has finished.

Laurier

The thing to remember about November is that the clocks have gone back and the daylight hours are much shorter.

Although you can get some nice sunny days that time of year, it is as likely to be similar to the weather you found in mid October, but cooler. Also there is the mistral to consider, which is common that time of the year.

Doubt that they'll have started - usually 1st / 2nd wk Dec earliest, depending on the place. 

Really, don't worry about the weather. It might be good, it might be bad, or it might be in-between.  None of us can predict it, so just book it and enjoy whatever you end up with.  You'll have a good time together.

(Oh, and by the way, it's bound to be better than the **** weather we're getting now in late-Spring! Cold, windy, etc) 

Of course none of these places are just tourist towns. It's not like the sea-side out of season[:)]

They are active lively places where people live and work all year round.

I know all three, and they all have good points, but my favorite, and one of the most sought-after places in France to live is Aix.

You can have a wonderful time: the climate can be bright and cold in November, but if you keep out of the wind and in the sun you can easily sit out on a café terrace.

I second the fact that Arles is a nice place, and not too big to look around if you are with elderly people.