car club trip in France

piglet

I wonder if forum members could advise me regarding a car club trip planned for next year, somewhere in France. We belong to a local classic car club here in the Limousin and offered to arrange a four-day trip somewhere in France for the early part of September 2013. The club have travelled to Northern and Western France in the past, so I am inclined to look somewhere to the East or South.

I was wondering if there were any specific events/festivals etc in your area in early September, that might be a magnet to draw us there. We can then plan other outings/trips around that. Any suggestions greatfully received.

thanks

piglet

I'm surprised that you haven't had any replies to this one so far - it may just be because (like me!) nobody can think of a specific event or festival that's on around that time.  That's simply because after all the pele mele of July and August, everybody is festivaled-out: the only one that I can think of around here in September is the Nimes corrida, but that's probably not what you had in mind!

This may sound daft, but one place that springs to my mind is somewhere I've never been to: Sete on the Herault coast.

Its just that people have often mentioned it as somewhere that's really nice: plenty of accommodation of all types and quality, easy access (by train) to Montpellier which is a really nice city, plenty to do around and about. Their website is quite good - just google it.  Generally excellent weather in September and a relatively easy drive for you from the Limousin.  Norman H (and others) will know the place I'm sure and he could well say that it's best avoided, but let's see.

As for the east of France, what about Annecy?  Now I have been there and whilst it is a bit touristy, its a nice town and the lake is beautiful.

Hope that helps.

The only thing I came up with in September was the patrimoine weekend,

but of course

that's everywhere across France. I did wonder about a link-up with a

place which also has a car club. I thought of that at the weekend when

some owners of mainly classic cars in our town took people for short rides for €3 in

aid of the Téléthon; my ride was an old Citroen - I forget the model, but

it was long, black and very roomy! Definitely worth €3 each for a tour!

They might be interested in our area, Gardian - they might fancy being at the feria des vendanges - seeing a corrida, or at least the celebrations in the streets and all the bodegas. I think it's from 13 - 15 September next year.

Norman H (and others) will know the place I'm sure and he could well say that it's best avoided, but let's see.

No I love Sète, and often recommend a visit but I am not sure it is a good choice for a car club as the traffic is very difficult because of the canals and the roads congested. Parking can be a bit of a nightmare too...I always went by train.

I think sid has hit on a good idea.

[quote user="gardengirl "]my ride was an old Citroen - I forget the model, but it was long, black and very roomy!
[/quote]

I guess that it was a 'Traction' - a 'Maigret' car to you & me.

Might well have been one of my pals earning a few quid on the side. [;-)]

In Castelmoron-Sur-Lot, down here in Aquitaine, there's a two day vintage car festival which is always well attended - it's usually in September and is, I think, every 2 years which means there will be one in 2nd week of September 2013. http://www.sauvegardedematerieldesapeurspompiers.fr/rassemblement_de_vehicules_anciens_1281.htm

Roads down here are great, weather should still be hot and I can keep an eye on the schedule and give you details if you fancy a tootle down to this part of France.