Extortionate price

Friend and daughter here travelling to UK from Roscoff on Whit Sunday with medium sized car and returning as foot passengers only with cabin on way back on same route.This is a one week visit and the cost.. just under 700! How do people afford these visits every few months?

>
>the cost.. just under 700!
> How do people afford
>these visits every few months?

Couldn't afford to do it once! Seriously though, if folks are going to pay these stupid prices then the ferry companies will keeps charging them.

regards....helen
>

>Friend and daughter here travelling to
>UK from Roscoff on Whit
>Sunday with medium sized car
>and returning as foot passengers
>only with cabin on way
>back on same route.This is
>a one week visit and
>the cost.. just under 700!
> How do people afford
>these visits every few months?
>

Perhaps they own bigger building company's! Ha, Ha.

They don't.

Having found the most expensive price, about which they can have a moan, they go on to find a crossing and a price that meets their needs.

For every posting about an extortionate price, there will be one about the bargain someone has found.

I play this game as well on Expedia. London to Paris for 70, but it will also come up with a price of 1000 plus, routing with 3 airlines via the capitals of Europe.

Val,

Because they are vehicle passengers one way, foot passengers the other they are paying single fares on both parts of the journey - guaranteed to be the most expensive way of doing things. Agreed, cabins are over-priced.

It's easy to be wise after the event but if they had wanted to save money they could have booked a five-day return with the vehicle and just not taken the vehicle back - that would have meant a day or two less in France but could well have saved 300-400.

Will (50)

Hi Val, I suspect people who come and go to the UK regularly don't pay that sort of money. There are all sorts of ways of getting a cheaper fare even with BF. Avoid weekends and bank holidays where at all possible; pick your day of travel carefully, on the Roscoff/Plymouth route Wednesday from Roscoff and Tuesday from Plymouth are at their 'Starting Price' fares.

Join the Property Owners Club, the initial charge can be recouped on the first journey if you have to travel with a car at an expensive time. Avoid travelling overnight, it is expensive and even more so if you want a cabin. Look at 5 day and 10 day return fares. Travel on foot if you can, public transport links from Plymouth are pretty good we find and even if you have to have a taxi to the rail or bus station it shouldn't cost more than 4.

Try out alternative dates on the BF web site, I found a saving of 20 for 2 foot passengers by moving our possible return date to Roscoff from 30th May to 4 June and a saving of 33% by choosing not to travel in the week before the UK May Holiday.

Liz

personally I would never pay that sort of money for any crossing on the channel.Befor we lived here ,still living and breathing for our French fix at every half term we were BF membere and Caravan Club members and would take up their early booking offers or spend days at the computer inorder to get a good price .

Thanks to all for your helpful replies. I think there was a misunderstanding as to people mentioned taking this crossing as it is not us,but a recently widowed friend who has to take her late husband's car back to sell as it is a RH drive and no good here. Yes, they probably are being charged as two different types of crossing and they do not belong to the property owners club either which would have cut down the cost,but it is still well over the top.
On another note, some other friends here logged onto the BF site every day for a month as an experiment to find what the cost would be for a crossing they wish to make at the end of next month,so it was the same dates and routes they put in. They were shocked as some days it was over 200 dearer than the previous day and other days cheaper than they had every paid. Like everyone else who moans round here, they too, wish back to the good old days when there was a printed price list and no daily hikes.

• 3 weeks later...
I agree Brittany Ferries charge ridiculously high prices. My parents have a house in Brittany so the preferred route is Plymouth to Roscoff. It really is the most convenient. My parents are currently in France, so myself and three children aged under 7 are going over as footpassengers (from Plymouth, to be met in Roscoff) on Friday 28th May, returning Thursday 3rd June. I have booked a cabin for an extra 20 each way. Total price for the return journey is 205.10, and that includes the Guest discount. Two hundred pounds as foot passengers! Crazy price.