"cheap" flights Angers to Southampton

Just had quite a shock.  Logged in to view flights from Angers to Southampton and return 5 days later next week.  Fare E27.08 return - fantastic.  Then comes the shock taxes E60.81 making a a total of nearly E90 per person.  To this add the train fares other end from Southampton to Guildford at £35 per person single.  For 2 people this comes to approx £270.   We can travel BF for less and carry more!   What a disappointment - felt that flying would make lives easier and from adverts cheaper.

For 4 people the savings with the ferry would be even greater. 

I don't expect to travel for peanuts but the taxes really are extortionate - there was a flight from Southampton to Toulouse for a while but this was discontinued - may be the high taxes killed it. 

Well yes, but did you really think that you were going to get the round trip for €20 - €30 each?  Is there anyone out there who isn't aware of how the other charges clock up?  Obviously there is.

Even with the taxes, it's still 60 quid or so: peanuts compared to what you had to pay for a flight to anywhere not so very long ago.

Why so shocked?

I fly out to Tenerife from Gatwick to visit family and the fares vary from £9.99 to £69.99 (one way) inclusive, depending on when,  and when you book, this for a 4 hour and 20 minute journey to off the coast of Africa, not a short " hop" from Angers to Southampton.

This is why I was so shocked!  

• 2 weeks later...
Last year when I noticed Flybe went to La Rochelle for £29  I was keen to use them as I live only half an hour from Southampton and the house is 34 klm from  La Rochelle......I soon changed my mind when I worked in the taxes and as much as I hate paying Brittany Ferries high fares it was a better option cost wise .  

• 3 weeks later...

Further to my original post re flights Angers-Southampton.  I have today looked up the cost of flying Angers to Southampton on Sunday 23 July returning Thursday 27 July for 2 people - E547.12!

This despite receiving an e-mail from the airline stating Southampton/Angers from £29.99 single p.p

Needless to say we will not be taking up their special offer!