Channel crossing after leaving hospital

David

Spg & Teamedup,

I am in two minds whether to go by the tunnel, or on the Portsmouth to St. Malo ferry.  On the tunnel I would have a three to four hour drive in UK, cross the channel, overnight hotel and then an 8 hour drive home (including lots of stops).  Arrive home early evening too late for infermier on second day out of hospital.  Quite a long journey, and I don't know if I will be able to access the toilets on the train (see posts above).

The boat with a cabin is quite appealing, a three hour drive in UK, overnight cabin, then a four hour drive home, arriving about lunch time on the second day for the infermier to come during the afternoon.

This will be my fourth operation on this knee after three bungled operations in France, so I do know what to expect.  I understand that I will be in hospital about 5 days, and this may vary depending on my condition.  The hospital know I will be returning to France by car, so they will act accordingly.

Should I not feel up to the journey then I will have to stay in an hotel for a while, or break the journey, and that is why I can only book the crossing at the last moment.

I have tried sitting across the back seat of the car, but I get very car sick travelling like that for more than about 10 kilometers.

I had wondered about taking our estate car which is left hand drive and making a bed in the back, but I discounted this on the basis of difficulty in getting in and out, and also being rolled about on bends and roundabouts.  Also if the bed idea did not work, I could not change my mind and sit in the right hand front passenger seat.

I will discuss travel with my surgeon, but I presently favour the idea of an overnight cabin on the boat, where I can keep my leg up, and a shorter drive in France.

Thanks for your concern and advice.  All advice welcome.  I am also hoping that this post might help others who may find themselves in a similar situation.

David

The eurotunnel is so quick that one doesn't get out of the car, I'm not sure if there are any toilets anyway. What does it take, half an hour 40 minutes.

There are certainly good knee surgeons in these Alps I live in. Ski accidents mean that we need good surgeons in the area.

How do you know that the surgeon will be good in the UK? Do the clinics have a league table of how well surgeons do?

[quote user="David"]

Spg & Teamedup,

I am in two minds whether to go by the tunnel, or on the Portsmouth to St. Malo ferry.  The boat with a cabin is quite appealing, a three hour drive in UK, overnight cabin, then a four hour drive home, arriving about lunch time on the second day for the infermier to come during the afternoon.

This will be my fourth operation on this knee after three bungled operations in France, so I do know what to expect.  I understand that I will be in hospital about 5 days, and this may vary depending on my condition. 

I have tried sitting across the back seat of the car, but I get very car sick travelling like that for more than about 10 kilometers.[/quote]

Hopefully whatever decision you finally take will prove to be successful. I can only wish you well and apologise for not being able to say anything remotely helpful which might assist you in your predicament. 

Sue

Should you go for the tunnel route, explain the situation to them and they will make arrangements to "fast track" you through the check-in procedures and get you on the train more quickly- you'll be right at the front and first off at the Calais end.

My other thought is Eurostar.  Why not forget your car and take the train.  They are fantastic at looking after the disabled and you won't be cramped up in a car.  I did a long trip by train with my leg in plaser from toe to hip and they were excellent, even with the transfers to taxis etc. both in France and the UK.

Teamedup,

When I crossed by Eurotunnel there was one toilet every three carriages, and it was difficult to access by wheelchair.  I could not find one near the car in the stacking area, and anyway that day it was pouring rain.  After a three to four hour drive down from Cambridge, and before driving off in France, I am pretty certain that I will have to visit the loos, even though the crossing is only 30 to 40 minutes.

My French GP was not able to find further French surgeons who admitted to being competent enough to try to repair the damage caused by the bungled operations.  I am sure that you are right about your area, but I must trust my GP.

As fo tthe UK surgeon, my daughter in law is a doctor and she did the research, plus recommendations from personal contacts.  I saw two of the top three knee surgeons in the UK, and one of those is operating.

Thanks for your help.

David