Can they do this

Georgina

I have booked a flight with Flybe since six months ago. Not only did they come back to me and ask for more money (which I know everyone is having to pay) but now they have come back again and said they are changing my flight to go 8 hours earlier because it suits their timetable better!! Which as I have an earlier flight is pushing it really.   Not only does this really screw up my plans, they have said they would book a later flight on another day for me but would not pay accommodation.

Can they get away with this? It would be different if the flight was a bit later but not earlier.

Georgina

When the increased tax started recently I remember hearing on the news (BBC or Channel 4) that some of the airlines were considering making a legal challenge to aspects of the tax. From memory it was not the tax increase but rather the short notice and some aspect of it applying to travel already booked or the procedures the gov. had used. Must confess I did not pay much attention to it.

Ian

You know I am tempted to send them a hotel bill, take them to small claims court when they don't pay, and see what happens. Bound to be some sympathetic judge who has had the same experience. I think it's because people just accept it that they get away with it. I wouldn't mind if I was given an explanation but as far as they are concerned, it's enough that they offered me a refund, what really is involved when people book these flights is often months of planning, it's not like buying a hifi.

Rant over.

Georgina

Copied from: http://www.flybe.com/flightInfo/1conditions.htm

[quote]

ARTICLE 9 - SCHEDULES, DELAYS, CANCELLATION OF FLIGHTS

9.1 Schedules

9.1.1 The flight times shown in

timetables may change between the date of publication and the date you

actually travel. We do not guarantee them to you and they do not form

part of your contract with us. 9.1.2 Before we accept

your booking, we will notify you of the scheduled flight time in effect

as of that time, and it will be shown on your Ticket. We may need to

change the scheduled flight time subsequent to issuance of your Ticket.

If you provide us with contact information, we will endeavour to notify

you of any such changes. If, after you purchase your Ticket, we make a

significant change to the scheduled flight time, which is not

acceptable to you, and we are unable to book you on an alternate flight

which is acceptable to you, you will be entitled to a refund in

accordance with Article 10.2. 9.1.3 We will take all reasonably necessary measures to avoid delay in carrying you and your Baggage.

[/quote]

[quote user="Clair"]Copied from: http://www.flybe.com/flightInfo/1conditions.htm

[quote]

ARTICLE 9 - SCHEDULES, DELAYS, CANCELLATION OF FLIGHTS

9.1 Schedules
 The flight times shown in timetables may change between the date of publication and the date you actually travel. We do not guarantee them to you and they do not form part of your contract with us. 9.1.2 Before we accept your booking, we will notify you of the scheduled flight time in effect as of that time, and it will be shown on your Ticket. We may need to change the scheduled flight time subsequent to issuance of your Ticket. If you provide us with contact information, we will endeavour to notify you of any such changes. If, after you purchase your Ticket, we make a significant change to the scheduled flight time, which is not acceptable to you, and we are unable to book you on an alternate flight which is acceptable to you, you will be entitled to a refund in accordance with Article 10.2. 9.1.3 We will take all reasonably necessary measures to avoid delay in carrying you and your Baggage.

[/quote]

[/quote]

There is such a thing as an unfair contract.  These are known to lose in court cases. Thanks for going to the trouble to read all the conditions for me though.[:D]

Yes, but when their arrangements actually cost someone more money, it does seem a little unfair not to go halfway with the expense. For instance, when I booked a later flight which actually turned out to be cheaper, they did not offer me the difference back.

I agree with Clair.

If you have a case in law, fight it - but I think it's unlikely that you would win as you have already agreed the terms and conditions when you made the booking.

What has happened to you is not good but you may just be causing yourself more stress than you need to by continuing to fight this, the best thing you can do is to take legal advice or try something like the free ?Which service.

If the legal folk think you have a case, go for it, if not, probably easier to cut the stress levels.

Actually I am going to spend more time in Blighty, and take the opportunity to see everyone, so rant over. It was just the fact that it was a case of tough ..... attitude.  I thought that was just the O'Leary bloke that did that. And actually the flight was not as cheap.

Georgina

Ah, within the T&Cs that wonderful word that lawyers like so much - 'significant'. That, along with 'reasonable' etc lay open the means of protracted legal arguement and fees.

But, yes, the small claims court is always a cheap option - just hope that the judge does not have shares in Flybe

Paul

[quote user="P"]

Ah, within the T&Cs that wonderful word that lawyers like so much - 'significant'. That, along with 'reasonable' etc lay open the means of protracted legal arguement and fees.

But, yes, the small claims court is always a cheap option - just hope that the judge does not have shares in Flybe

Paul

[/quote]

Why can't you read the whole sentence? - If, after you purchase your Ticket, we make a significant change to the scheduled flight time, which is not acceptable to you, and we are unable to book you on an alternate flight which is acceptable to you, you will be entitled to a refund in accordance with Article 10.2.

The company agrees that it has made a significant change and has offered a refund. So where's the basis of a claim?

I read the posts and I came to the same conclusion as Cjlaws.

The terms and conditions are the legal basis for the contract that you entered into.  They provide for a refund in specific circumstances and in offering you one, the company have abided by those terms.

If you're expecting to find a sympathetic judge who has had the same experience, and who'll make a ruling that goes against the law, then you're out of touch with reality.......[8-)]

[quote user="Georgina"]

Oh I am bored with this now, nobody has anything useful more to add.  Perhaps the sunshine will come out tomorrow and you will get out of bed the right way.

Georgina

[/quote]

You mean "I don't want to hear the truth" perhaps. Sunday Driver spends a lot of time researching all sorts of topics so that he can offer wise advice to members of this and other forums. Me, I'm a qualified English Solicitor, although I no longer practice. We and others have given you advice which you seem not to like. None of us has any axe to grind and if you choose to take the matter you complain of to the courts, then that's your affair.