Taxis to and from French airports

Hi

Has anybody had any experience of useing taxis to and from airports?

We are concidering keeping a car at our holiday home, and flying out rather that driving down every trip, but as we are about 1 hour away from the airport I was wondering if it would be worthwhile

People do it all the time in the UK, but I have no idea if it is similar in France. (edit: have a taxi to the airport)

I would apreciate any info or experience re: costs[:)]

Chipie

'Ouch'

Same as us, it might be better to leave (if there is one) at the long parking sites.We have looked at this and it seems to justify the price of a years stay as opposed to 1 taxi trip. Other people do this all the time on this forum so they would be better informed then me.

Bergerac or Limoges we are about an hour from each.

I know people do leave their cars for long periods at the airports ( I've seen many that look as if they have been abandoned)[:-))] and now it seems that Bergerac charge, but as I read on another thread a lost ticket is only 30€ anyway!

For us it would not be very often as we have dogs so most of the time we have to drive anyway.

We are also about 1 hour from Manchester and Liverpool airports and I know that in our town their are lots of taxi firms that do the airport run for about £60 -£70 which if there are several of you it can work out cheaper that long stay carparks.

Are there many Taxi/ private hire firms about in France like they are here? I never seem to see any!

Chipie

Don't assume that you can long term park in Bergerac airport and then try the lost ticket thing.

There seems to be a policy of the longer term parked cars being moved into a more secure area and the 30 euro lost ticket scam is something that they're aware of there.  This is still open to clarification (my mole there wasn't there when I was there last week) but at least 4 long term parked UK registered cars are down on their rims as the cars have been moved and the tyres deflated.

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]Don't assume that you can long term park in Bergerac airport and then try the lost ticket thing.[/quote]

I'm sorry but I have not asumed anything[:-))]

I was refering to something that was already posted in another thread, I did not say I was about to do it!My comment regarding the lost ticket was aimed at the people who had left theirs cars there for a long time,

Chipie

PS Why would you want / need a mole at an airport?

I'm pretty sure that I've read somewhere that an English couple set up a business, storing them long term and then delivering them to the airport when you arrive. Maybe someone else has heard of this. I think it was in a copy of Sud-Ouest.

Hoddy

No use to you, I know, but just an example. My nearest airport is La Rochelle, about 40-45 mins from our house. I can get a bus to the centre of town from the airport for €1.20, then a train to Saintes for €10.90. A Taxi from the airport to the town centre of La Rochelle costs about €12.

Sadly, neither Bergerac or Limoges appear to have any shuttle buses from the town to the airport, and Limoges airport's website quotes €20 for a taxi into town. However, if you can get a train from either town to within spitting distance of your house, can't you get a friend to pick you up?? The overall cost will clearly be a lot less than a taxi door-to-door.

As an aside, I'm amazed at the cheapness of airport parking in France. If the airport authorities really do want to discourage long-term parking they should take a leaf out of Heathrow's book. I left Terminal 4 the other week for a short business trip. Not short enough, unfortunately. I arrived with enough time to get my outbound flight, only to find that, for the first time in over 20 years of regular business travel the car park at T4 was full. With not enough spare time to risk driving around and finding an alternative, I was left with no option but to park in the short term car park. My car was there for 56 hours. The cost?? £133.50.[:@] My return flight to Paris was just over half that.

Looks like its not going to be easy!

So I think we will just have to drive down most of the time and only fly when we need to either go out or come home for short periods, then use a hire car.

Thanks for all the sugestions and maybe some enterprising person might think there is a need for mini cabs or off airport parking and start a micro!

Chipie

Limoge to Magnac Laval was €85 last year, probably more this year. Always taxis outside to meet flights;

French provincial airports are no different to any other airport in  Europe - taxis are nearly always there to meet flights, on the chance of a big trip. 

we recently got a taxi ride the 17km from chatelerault  train stn to our house,   35 EUROS , WHICH  IS ABOUT 2.3 EUROS PER KM.   2.30 CAME UP ON THE SCREEN WHEN HE ASKED US WHERE WE WERE GOING. I GUESS IT MAY HAVE BEEN LESS FOR A GREATER DISTANCE PER KM.