Roadworks at Dover Port (?)

When booking with P&O yesterday we were warned to turn up 1.5 hours before the sailing,  30 mins normal,  30 mins for the cats,  and 30 mins for road resurfacing between Channel View House and the boats.

Whilst it seems to confirm that (at least the 30 mins for the cats,  there are no feline formalities for the outward journey) P&O run their ferries for the convenience of themselves rather than their passengers,   has anyone experienced these "roadworks"?    The booking clerk said that they actually are only supposed to take place at night (we are sailing at 10.55!) -  so should we be worried?

Any information gratefully received.

(I'm only whinging about the early check in because we try to spare the cats any unnecessary delays,   a point lost on P&O a lot of the time!)

If SeaFrance is still on strike it may well be chaos at Dover. We returned from a break in the UK about 10 days ago and the M20 was a joke, all because of the wonderful "Operation Stack"..... Hours of traffic jams and being taken off the motorway and then allowed back on later. Yet, when you are in Calais their equivelent was really well organised and there didn't seem to be the same snarl ups.

In the past when there have been hold up to the Eastern Docks, I have used the A2/M2 which is now an excellent road and takes about the same time to get back to the M25 at the Dartford Crossing. The advantage is that this road enters the Eastern Docks at the roundabout right outside the entrance and therefore it avoids the current Dover road works entirely.

Baz

As I live locally it was me who originally posted about the roadworks.

We use Speedferries and our exit has not been affected yet.They are working towards us from the Eastern docks.

The Seafrance strike has been resolved but on leaving Dover on Wednesday 26th March we noticed lorries queuing all the way down into Dover in the first lane. Not bad weather.

You can check with the Port of Dover site http://www.doverport.co.uk/?page=TrafficTravelWeather

before travelling. There have been closures of the road London bound overnight when they send everyone on the A2.

Thanks for the advice folks.

I think we might do what we used to do years ago before the M20 was finished,   and take the A249 (is it?) that links from the M20 up to the M2 near Bluebell Hill and approach Dover that way.   If there's no traffic I will even have the time to indulge my sad hobby and take pictures of the Swingate (Dover) FM mast.

The A3 from Portsmouth back to London is still a nightmare.  The other morning what should have been a 1 hour drive took my husband 2 and a half hours due to the ongoing fiasco at Hindhead plus other road closures.   He was not a Happy Bunny!!