Caen ferry port

sid

Blame the dentist - I do [:)]

If you are coming from the west and heading to the ferry exit (north) surely you are going clockwise, however if you are coming further south, then you may well still choose the clockwise route but be travelling east [:)][:)]

If you look for landmarks and signs I'm sure you will be doing lots of poor navigators (me and Cathy) a BIG favor [:)]

If you are coming from the Argentan / Falaise road, then it is signposted round to the east (I checked this morning) and you pass the shopping centre at Mondeville, the Paris motorway, the speed camera and then cross the bridge before the turning.

Yes, I did know about the Poles and strangely enough OH was showing some friends that very memorial yesterday. For a detailed and incredibly vivid account of the fighting down from Caen I can recommend "The Guns of War" by George C. Blackburn who was in the Canadian Artillery. Was it really bocage over to the east of the N158? I have had a look at some of the photos in our local history books and it looks like the same sweeping series of ridges across open countryside that you see today. I agree that the development round the périphérique is a mess and don't let me get started on the pavillons down the Thury Harcourt road!

regards

Lisa

[quote user="LisaJ"]

Was it really bocage over to the east of the N158? I have had a look at some of the photos in our local history books and it looks like the same sweeping series of ridges across open countryside that you see today.

[/quote]

I've no idea if it was all bocage, but I do know that enormous areas of hedgerow and copses in Lower Normandy were ripped up after the war and into the 70's to permit prairie-style farming.  Regardless, I don't think that the Battle of Normandy had much to do with the ugliness of the landscape I'm talking about. And you can't deny that it's one mighty depressing view for kilometre after kilometre as you approach Caen from Falaise.  

[quote user="Cathy"]

What is 'bocage'?  My father-in-law was a gunner in the Battles of Normandy and Falaise (he called Falaise a massacre).  He talked about 'bocage' and I just thought that it was a place.

[/quote]

Bocage is mixed woodland and farmland with hedges, considered 'typical' of Lower Normandy by some people.

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/56/Bocage_boulonnais.jpg/800px-Bocage_boulonnais.jpg[/img]

There is also a place called Villers-Bocage, site of a famous battle shortly after the landings in June 1944.

You could describe it as depressing, Cassis (though I can think of more depressing landscapes in France and would nominate the A10 through Les Landes as top of my list). I certainly think the bit round the Falaise pocket still has a certain atmosphere and I don't think I could live there. If you turn off to the west of the Falaise to Caen road however, you are fairly instantly in an exquisite landscape of woods and rolling hills, which leads across to the even more beautiful Suisse Normande.  I am biased, though!

And to go even further off topic, does anyone know what caused the enormous bang that shook this bit of Normandy at about 9.15 this morning? I know it was heard across at least a 15km radius.

regards

Lisa

When was this action? My father landed (90th Middlesex HAA) on July 4th and  the record I have says they were destined for a ground role in support of 5 A.G.R. and 30 Corps. They moved south passing Bayeux on the right and wre first deployed in the Chouan area north of Tilly sur Seulles. Other places mentioned are Balleroy, just north of Caumont, Hottot, Villiers Bocage, Aunay sur Odon, Thury Harcourt, Mount Pincon. Then they move toward Conde & Athis and it says the famouse 'Falais Pocket' began to develop. The Regiment swung South and they entered Argentan - it goes on with day by day accounts of happenings etc. I know my father ended up in the low countries - one day I'll read it with a map at my side.

The paper it is typewritten on is getting very brown now, I ought to have it transcribed so others could share it. 

[quote user="Russethouse"]

The paper it is typewritten on is getting very brown now, I ought to have it transcribed so others could share it. 

[/quote]

You must. The Imperial War Museum would probably be interested in a copy as well. In fact, when I retire (next month) I'll do it for you, if you send me a photocopy.

Yes you definitely should. There is another very good book by Stuart Hills "By Tank into Normandy" (from memory) that describes pretty much the same route. When you see how narrow and steep some of the valleys are, you wonder how on earth they took them. 

regards

Lisa