Ryanair Flight Forced Landing due to Loss of Cabin Pressure

jxedwards

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="ErnieY"][quote user="chrisb"]He was interviewed about his experience as a passenger. End of story.[/quote]But it's not EOS is it. He was not just a passenger but a marginally famous character with a plummy accent which is precisely why he was invited to be interviewed and because of this and his exploits will undoubtedly be regarded by some as a person of knowledge and authority and therefore attribute more credence to his ill infomed comments and observations than they deserve.

Lets look at some of his utterings:

Most telling he was asked 'could you breath' Yes

He said 35% of passengers suffered ear damage because of the speed of decent and were not allowed to fly for 24 hours. That will come as news to the majority who were on their way on a replacement aircraft in something like 4 hours, ears totally intact. Also any ear damage suffered will more likely have been a result of the initial loss of pressure rather than by the rate of descent.

He says 80% knew they were going to die, did he conduct a survey then, if so 100% were wrong.

He bases his assertion that the oxygen masks were not working by comparing the flow to the oxygen his wife was given during childbirth. Over to you ladies on that one !

He complains that the masks did not inflate - they are not supposed to.

I'll admit to not being MOL's greatest fan but on this occasion I have to give him absolute full credit for acquitting him self calmly, competently, and patiently in the face of the crass ignorance of that pillock and the goading of the interviewer.

For what it's worth the oxygen masks on many aircraft, RA included, are not fed from a bottle as you might imagine but from individual oxygen generators which are situated above every row of seats and activated by a very light tug which releases a pin which in turn ignites a called candle which heats the generator and produces the oxygen. All masks above any particular row of seats are operated by the same generator so if one works all 4 work (commonly 4 - 1 for the passengers and one for the cabin staff if they are moving up and down the aisle) so it is physically impossible for the whole oxygen system on the aircraft to not work. Mr Haddow demonstrated his ignorance of this by guessing that the percieved lack of oxygen could have been because pilots had decided not to turn the oxygen on.

If anybody missed the interview it can be heard HERE

[/quote]

Well posted, Erns.  For once I'm not taking the mick.  You speak mighty sense, Erns, and I am proud of you.

Trouble with so-called celebrities is that they engage their mouths before their brains.  The ones that is who do possess what passes as a brain.

I find celebrities so tiring.  People who are genuinely intelligent as well as famous are also out there, of course.  But they are famous for something and not for some spurious and lightweight, media-induced stunt of some description. 

Blame the media not the excited passenger. The News services make a story out of what visuals they have, irrespective of fact or analysis. Not sure they can do analysis anymore !

BTW I often knock Ryanair for their anti-family pricing stance and  their 'back-street trader' pricing policy that has more add-ons than the headline price.

I also wouldn't touch his PR agency for any price, to succumb to his ethics of showmanship they must have precious litle to add.

But in this situation Ryanair seem to have done everything correctly, even rustling up a replacement flight. Is this a PB for Ryanair ?

John

Any news item involving Ryanair can be guaranteed to bring out supporters and critics in droves. In this instance Ryanair seems to have acted correctly but the headline "relatively minor incident with no loss of life" would scarcely be adequate. Bald facts have no place in modern reporting - all those reporters and presenters on 24 hour news channels have to keep saying something but whoever said change is progress.

But, thanks to you all, I now know more about the deployment of oxygen masks on passenger aircraft than I previously cared about.

John

[quote user="Russethouse"]

I wonder if you would all be so rational if you got off a plane in similar circumstances? No doubt Pen Hadow feels a lot more sensible in the cold light of day -  What did you want him to do- tell the BBC he couldn't speak to them because he is slightly famous and it might be noticed ?

The last time I had oxygen was when I broke my shoulder, bloomin useless......I'm not surprised he didn't think he was getting anything through - that's how it feels....[/quote]If the interview had taken place on the tarmac at Limoges I might be inclined to agree but the timings clearly intimate that this was not the case so it would have been several hours later, IN the cold light of day in Barcelona or somewhere else.

And another thing, how did the BBC know that Mr Haddow was on that particular flight. Could it possibly have been that he contacted them I wonder ?

Sorry the oxygen didn't work for you RH but the point being made was not about it's effectiveness but the difference in flow rate. I've had oxygen under medical circumstances and was definately aware of the flow. I haven't experienced it in an aircraft, nor do I wish to, but I do know a little about the type of generators employed and the volume of oxygen they are capable of producing so I can understand it being less perceptible to the point where one might think there was none, but it is there nevertheless.

There is another crucial aspect to this also; the supply of oxygen should not be more than absolutely necessary to temporarily sustain breathing because in an emergency situation where there may be the possibility of a crash and a fire the very last thing you want is a cabin full of pure oxygen [:'(]

"the very last thing you want is a cabin full of pure oxygen" [:'(]

Must be difficult for an airline then when all the 24 hour news channel's hacks have their annual beano to Barcelona then[:D][:P]  But then its probably not oxygen that is being expelled is it[Www]

I often wonder about the complete lack of interest that a lot of passengers display towards the safety briefings at the beginning of a flight.  I imagine that it's the "this isn't the first time I've flown you know, I've seen it all before, boring...." attitude that prevents people from watching and listening to something that lasts less than a minute.  Statistically the more frequently that anyone flies, the more likely they are to be involved in an emergency, but the less likely they are to bother themselves with the safety briefings (even if in reality any accident it is more likely to be a traffic accident on the way to the airport than one involving an aircraft).

How many people do you see checking to see if the position of their nearest emergency exit is behind them?  How many seated next to emergency exits really know how to open the doors?

In tests conducted using volunteers paid a bonus of 10 US$ if they were the first out of a the plane in an emergency situation, videos showed many of them being unable to fasten their life jacket and others inflating the jackets whilst still inside the plane (and so severely restricting their own mobility and that of other passengers).   Whilst a water crash landing may not be a great likelihood on most Ryanair flights, it does demonstrate the results of inattention to safety briefings.

Is it just not cool to pay attention? Or is it that people generally think that if a plane crashes that's it, they're dead, so why bother? 

Some interesting stuff here http://archives.californiaaviation.org/airport/msg09849.html

I do wonder, reading some of these posts from those who obviously know all about oxygen masks, cabin depressurisation, and who with hindsight discuss it in such a matter of fact way dismissing the comments of those who underwent the experience -  I do wonder how they would have felt had it been them in a sudden buttock-clenching dive to imagined oblivion, and whether it might have crossed their respective minds at the time that perhaps some crumb of comfort from the crew might have gone a little way to alleviate their anxiety.  Five minutes is a long time when you don't know what's happening and are in fear of your life.

Julie

Which part of safety procedures........, requirements.........., oxygen mask over mouth, didn't you understand?  Yes I would have been shitting myself but would have hoped as I said earlier that the crew were doing their best to avoid a tragedy rather than blow sweet nothings down a microphone. The whole incident has been overblown it does not take five minutes to get from 30,000 feet to 8,000 probably seconds in reality.  The self serving bold courageous explorer was interviewed many hours later surrounded by his family and with no doubt played to the camera .......  end of story or non story as it really was.

[quote user="Cat"]

In tests conducted using volunteers paid a bonus of 10 US$ if they were the first out of a the plane in an emergency situation, videos showed many of them being unable to fasten their life jacket and others inflating the jackets whilst still inside the plane (and so severely restricting their own mobility and that of other passengers).   Whilst a water crash landing may not be a great likelihood on most Ryanair flights, it does demonstrate the results of inattention to safety briefings.

Is it just not cool to pay attention? Or is it that people generally think that if a plane crashes that's it, they're dead, so why bother? 

Some interesting stuff here http://archives.californiaaviation.org/airport/msg09849.html

[/quote]

Yep, but they were Americans, although these days we do seem to be following evrything they do.

In the end the pilots did what they had to do, they are after all the most qualified people at the scene, not the reporters and certainly not the passengers.  If you fly you may impact into the ground some day. If you drive you may crash some day, if you go by ship you may sink some day. we all go some day.

[quote user="teapot"]

Yep, but they were Americans, although these days we do seem to be following evrything they do.

[/quote]

Meaning what, that they were less able to understand instructions than the rest of the planet?

[quote user="teapot"]

If you drive you may crash some day, if you go by ship you may sink some day. we all go some day.

[/quote]

Reflecting my point perfectly teapot, it's not about the emergency, it's about surviving it. Why bother paying attention to safety if you take the fatalistic view that you're gonna die anyway so what's the point?

Fly with Ryan Air's  Australian  equivilant Jetstar in the row where the emergency exit is and you get a briefing at check in !

I am over 6 foot and choose the rows with exits  for leg room...You have to declare that you are willing to assist the crew in the event of an emergancy and that you are capable of unlocking the window and throwing 35 kilos of door out of the aircraft if need be  ...In the event of an emergancy it would go like a frizzbee !....... May this year  a big Aussie sat next to me and said  "You know you are sitting in the most dangerous seat on this aircraft "  I said "Is that right " he said "Yes mate .....you are between me and the 8loody door ! "    an enjoyable flight in good companythat one ......

What I

would quite like to know is why the cabin de-pressurised in the first place? Hardly an every day occurance.

Those little oxygen masks seem pretty cosmetic, though the chemistry behind

them is moderately interesting. A pilot I knew reckoned that their primary

function was to act as a panic suppression device to give the flight crew a

relatively peaceful few minutes to make the descent. The ones in the cockpit apparently

run off high pressure enriched bottled air rather than a chemical reaction

because their job is to ensure the pilot et al remain conscious. No silly “Kenco”

coffee filter cups for them!

[quote user="Cat"][quote user="teapot"]

[/quote]

Meaning what, that they were less able to understand instructions than the rest of the planet?

[quote user="teapot"]

If you drive you may crash some day, if you go by ship you may sink some day. we all go some day.

[/quote]

Reflecting my point perfectly teapot, it's not about the emergency, it's about surviving it. Why bother paying attention to safety if you take the fatalistic view that you're gonna die anyway so what's the point?

[/quote]

Cathy, I love your point, we are moving off the thread somewhat.

Am I fatalistic? I always travel in the back of the airplane, I believe its the last bit to hit the ground honest. I pride myself on the ability to be able to focus and pull an air mask to deliver the air supply or be able to put a life jacket on without the need to inflate it inside the air craft. I know where the exits are on a 737 800 series.

The Madrid accident was horrible as you said some survive, why, no one really knows but they did. If you really want to freak out the passengers wear a flight suit and a parachute, I bet they would not let you on the plane.

[quote user="Bob T"]I have had O2 on aircraft thousands of times! We used to start shift at 8 in the morning, and to cure the hangover, we used to head to the nearest VC10 and sit there for 20 minutes breathing O2. It works, honest.
[/quote]

So thats why there was no o2 on that Ryanair flight, you bloody had it all Bob[:D]

[quote user="The Riff-Raff Element"]

What I would quite like to know is why the cabin de-pressurised in the first place? Hardly an every day occurance.

Some one had to let the cat out.[:D]

Those little oxygen masks seem pretty cosmetic, though the chemistry behind them is moderately interesting. A pilot I knew reckoned that their primary function was to act as a panic suppression device to give the flight crew a relatively peaceful few minutes to make the descent. The ones in the cockpit apparently run off high pressure enriched bottled air rather than a chemical reaction because their job is to ensure the pilot et al remain conscious. No silly “Kenco” coffee filter cups for them!

Thats why they have a door on the cabin. [:D]

[/quote]

[quote user="teapot"]

Some one had to let the cat out.[:D]

[/quote]

Ah, all is clear now. The plane being infested with mice (who hadn't paid and were therefore the worst kind of pest), Tiddles O'Leary (TOL to his admirers) was drafted in to eliviate the problem. On being told he would have to pay £15 to check in his kitty litter tray he told them to stick it and, later, being caught short, opened the cat flap in flight. Sucked to his death somewhere over the Nord Pays de Calais (a region which, let's face it, could only be improved by a shower of dead cats) it was he that caused the sudden loss of cabin air supply and unwittingly catapulted the moderately unknown shopping mall explorer Biro Hairdo to temporary fame as an aviation expert.

I'm intrigued as to;

A. Why anyone would be carrying mushroom soup in the first place.

and

B. How it got on the plane, and in the overhead locker. It's hardly the sort of thing you buy air side is it and even if you'd bought a cup-a-soup from a vending machine the overhead locker would not be your first choice for storing it.

The mind boggles [blink]

Have you not noticed its the news silly season and the BBC who can now only afford to employ work experience part time news staff are still struggling to fill 24 hours of news and justify its existence.  However, funny that this one, surely far more potentially dangerous than being hit by a falling oxygen mask never got the attention of the media.

A Thomsonfly plane to Gatwick had to turn back to Croatia just seven minutes after take-off when a fire broke out in an oven.

A spokesman said the fire was "immediately contained" and there was "no danger to passengers or crew".

Passengers were delayed for eight hours while a replacement plane was flown from Manchester.