Which Airport to leave my Car

Babbles

As we're fast heading towards the winter timetables I'm unsure where to book my next set of flights to, we have a French car which I leave at various airports. I fly out of Liverpool in the winter with Ryanair (as far as I'm aware they are the only people who fly from the North England to SW / South France in winter) Currently the car is at Nimes and will be left there this time, as far as I can tell they are flying there up until end October I was planning on leaving it next time at Carcassonne, at the moment Ryanair are showing 2 flights a week for winter.

Has anyone any ideas about flying from the North West England to somewhere near Herault in winter? or the likelyhood of the Carcassonne flights being cancelled in winter?[8-)]

I think that the absence of replies says it all - your guess is as good as anybody else's.

Lpl - Nimes seems to have been wiped for the Winter, though EMA - Nimes seems to still be there (2 x wkly).  Didn't look at Carcassonne.

The problem is that whatever the schedules say now, it could well change.  RA have telegraphed further cuts.

If I was in your shoes, I'd leave the car either:

• At Lyon, Marseille or Toulouse, to all of which you could probably get a flt out of Manchester (though I've not looked at the schedules and it wouldn't be with a l-c carrier, nor would parking be cheap)

or

• At Avignon, Nimes or Montpellier, to all of which you could take a Eurostar / TGV.  By no means ideal from the NW, but at least you have the guarantee of service continuity.

Like the maps, hours of endless fun! and a good idea about the TGV. Thats my biggest worry that they'll cancel the flight and I can't get my car without huge expense. I'm hoping that Ryanairs beef is with Stanstead and they'll leave the Liverpool flights alone but you just never know.[8-)]

[quote user="Gardian"]

If I was in your shoes, I'd leave the car either:

• At Lyon, Marseille or Toulouse, to all of which you could probably get a flt out of Manchester (though I've not looked at the schedules and it wouldn't be with a l-c carrier, nor would parking be cheap)

[/quote]

BMI currently fly Manchester Lyon - more secure might be Easyjet but then only from the South.

Parking at Lyon is however rather less than cheap - in fact you'd be better leaving the car at home and taking a taxi!!

[quote user="ErnieY"]THIS site shows you the possibilities for routes from France to UK and also THIS one. [/quote]

The flightmapping one may be prone to errors: it shows LPL-MRS (Marseille) with EZY, which EZY does not fly, and omits MAN-MRS with FR ... which will stop for the winter. I contacted Nimes (FNI) and MRS and was told by FNI that LPL was off for the winter as far as they were concerned, and MRS said the same about MAN.

There are some good prices ex STN to the airports in your area and some decent deals on long-term parking at STN. Or of course you can stick with Plan A, LPL-CCF (Carcassonne). Another possibility is MAN or LPL-CDG and then get the TGV from CDG to Nimes or Montpellier (4 hours to MPL).

Regards

Pickles

Poitiers, and Limouse have now both started to charge. Tours is still free, but if people abuse the parking by leaving cars there long term them i guess it too will be following the others.

Why do people think its ok to park a car for long period's of time at airports.

All that happens as did at Limouse, is the car parks get full of long term parking so they make new ones and they too get full and so on.Where does it end. CHARGING everyone. Funny thing is now they are charging there is plenty of room to park. I wonder what has happened to all the cars that were park there long term or in some cases dumped there.

It is very selfish.In the end we all end up having to pay!!  Have people not heard of taxi,s or hire cars or even a friend!!

I think all airports no matter where should be free to 24 hrs then charge, the longer you stay the cheaper it gets.

Sorry its one of my announces.

nich,

I support your stance that people should not being allowed to use airport car parks as dumping grounds. I'm quite happy  to pay a moderate amount.

But, I do disagree about taxis though. In my (limited) experience, France, especially rural France, is not very taxi friendly - particularly price wise. I don't like asking friends to take and collect - it's a bit of a cheek really. It seems just about any other country in the world has taxies hanging around wherever you might need one - France doesn't seem to be one of those countries.

Do you hear of elderly French people giving up driving and relying on taxies like in the UK? 

That's all very well and good if you leave near an airport,don't mind annoying your friends treating tham as a taxi, and there actually is a taxi service that you can use. I am more that happy to leave my car for a month at a time pay knowing that its safe, Nimes airport have a great scheme where first 20 mins free, normalish rates up to a month, but if you want a  month or more you can pay in advance and get a lower rate. They then can provide a safe manned car park for everybodies benefit.