Cheap fueling points on Autoroutes

PaulT

Something that I would like to do is to fuel up just off of autoroutes a cheaper filling stations.

One of the problems is where are they.

I do not know if others agree but thought I would kick this off with one.

On the A64 going south from Toulouse, 10km past the services, Junction 24. Come off and at the roundabout, take the first turn off and a few yards / metres on this road there is a 24 hour automatic fueling point (does need a French card).

Paul

Unfortunately, stores are not close to every exit - you could have to drive for miles from many exits.  And signposting for them from the exits is not consistent.  Leclerc, however, do show all their petrol stations and their relationship to autoroutes on their website .  Maybe someone else can look it up again.  I did it first time so it's not my turn. [Www]

[quote user="dave21478"]But if you are on a Peage, surely you loose more paying the toll to leave the road then possibly rejoin later than you save on the fuel?[/quote]You don't need to be running on fumes before seeking a top up so you shouldn't need to come off a Peage for it but, if you are that bad at planning, then I'm afraid you'll just have to pay the price.................[;-)]

Like you Cassis, we don't often travel that far to need motoway fuel. We can even manage a trip to Dunkerque on a full tank and usually do a supermarket top up there because it is still marginally cheaper than UK. It's down to planning again, i.e. not pushing it to the wire but leaving enough time to be able to do it [:D]

I agree Ernie, my TomTom has all the Leclercs and Intermarches listed and will take me straight to them...

Incidentally, the Leclerc in Dieppe is the cheapest fuel for miles... (and takes UK cards). Fill up as you leave the ferry port, 24/7.

• 3 months later...

Just trying to save myself a bit of cash on the way down from Calais to Bordeaux on the A28\N10.  Am expecting to need to refuel around Abbeville and Poitiers, and usually just end up paying the prices at autoroute service stations.  However, am looking up cheaper options just off the autoroute, but getting confused about the peages. 

I know there are a few sections where there are no tolls to pay, but I can't remember which sections.  I think the section around Alencon is toll, and am wondering about getting off the autoroute at sortie 19 (as suggested above) and using the Leclerc fuel station nearby.  But what happens when I get off the autoroute & get back on again?  I'm guessing there will be a peage at sortie 19 for me to pay my dues, and a station to take another ticket as I get back on again.  Am I right, and is it therefore a sensible option to do this, or better to find filling stations close to the areas where there are no tolls?

thanks

louise 

[quote user="Compo"]

I agree Ernie, my TomTom has all the Leclercs and Intermarches listed and will take me straight to them...

Incidentally, the Leclerc in Dieppe is the cheapest fuel for miles... (and takes UK cards). Fill up as you leave the ferry port, 24/7.

[/quote]

Just one little point for drivers of vans, campers or caravans, Leclerc Dieppe has a Height restriction

So, for those of us that do travel for many miles on the peage Autoroutes, is it more economical to fill up using the higher priced Autoroute filling stations or to come off the Autoroute, pay the toll, fill up a mile or two away, return to the Autoroute and the journey?

Is the Autoroute priced per km, or does the more km you drive in one journey get a cheaper rate?

I'm not sure if there is any financial penalty for leaving the peage (to find cheap fuel) then rejoining at the same place but even if there is at up to 10c/lt cheaper you'd really have to go a massive way out of the way to negate the savings on a tankful.

For anyone doing the Poitier Alencon Dover/Boulogne run is concerned, the obvious choice is to top up as you transit Rouen. Whichever route you choose there are plenty of cheap refuelling options. On the West and Central routes there are Esso Express self service stations, which now take UK cards. If you prefer the Eastern route then a visit to Carrefour is available.