New Ryanair check-in procedures

Although we live in France, last weekend we travelled to the UK using Ryanair from Girona.

We had booked for airport check-in with hold luggage.  As we had about an hour before check-in should have opened for our flight, we sat in the café and had a snack and a drink.

In front of us were several Ryanair bag drop check-ins, but no apparent "normal" check-in desks.  There were also several electronic machines, which seemed quite popular.

After eating, we made our way round to the area and were immediately approached by a member of staff.  After confirming that we were travelling by Ryanair, she explained that we need to go to one of the machines, enter our confirmation number, answer the usual baggage questions and then our boarding passes would be printed out.  We then had to take our baggage to one of the baggage drop desks, show our passports and boarding tickets, leave our case and that would be us checked-in.

The whole process took about 10 mins (would have been shorter but for someone clueless in front of us).

It seemed to me to be very efficient and take a lot less time than traditional check-in.

All in all a very positive experience and a big thumbs up to the future check-in procedures for Ryanair, assuming this is the way it will work come October.

One happy Ryanair customer.[:D]

We used Limoges - Liverpool and return last week and the check-in was the same as it's always been. We had checked-in online but still had to have our hand luggage weighed (the first time this has happened) at Limoges, but nothing unusual at Liverpool. You still get several people using the "Priority" lane; why you would look for the cheapest fares and then pay extra on top of the other charges I've no idea. There always seems to be seats available and the flights only last 90 minutes at the most!

What's the reference to October?

Sid

Well they got me twice on our recent trip. I booked-up a few weeks ago and at that time I could see no mention of on-line check-ins. I did not opt for the get-on-board-first thing as there is little point if everybody does so.

We got to the Stanstead and tried to use the little terminals but were told that we had to pay £20 each to buy a boarding card. When we did we were asked if we wanted to buy them for the return. We did.

When we returned from Bergerac there was no on-line check-in option so it was check-in as usual. £40 wasted.

Nice one Mr O'Leary.

Sorry to hear that Renaud, sadly you have only yourself to blame.

When you booked there was a check box that said "I have read the terms and conditions" It's highlighted in a yellow box saying "IMPORTANT" you cannot continue to book if you do not check the box. It seems in your haste to book you must have ticked the box without reading the terms and conditions as it clearly explains the proceedure.

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/conditions.php?view=email

I have recently booked my first return trip with Ryanair (a Ryanair virgin, well I never ...) next month between East Midlands and Bergerac.

Since I shall only have cabin baggage and since my stay in France will be for less than two weeks, I believe that I can print my boarding cards for both my outward and return legs before I leave on my outward journey. Is this so?

No sign of any new procedures at Carcassonne this morning - it was still two check-in desks and a queue right round the room and out the door as normal.

Then the pilot decided he didnt fancy landing there, circled twice then buggered off to Perpignan - Bad weather seemingly. I was standing outside in a t-shirt, getting damp due to the drizzle, so I would beg to differ on that point, but im not the one wiggling the sticks and pressing buttons, so Im not sure if my weather assesment was valid. The ground crew were not too impressed with this decision either from what I gather, plus all the following flights managed to land no problem with no change in conditions..... meh, Im just just moaning, my poor sister and her 4-year old son will have to wait till the evening flight to brussles instead, then get tomorrows flight to Prestwick.

Dave I'm guessing the aircraft you were waiting for was probably 'downgraded' for whatever reason (which can be one of many).  For aircraft to land in less than 850m visibility both aircraft and crew must be properly graded and current.

Procedure at CCF has changed slightly - 100% baggage (cabin and hold) weight and size checks enforced at the request of Ryanair.

Ric

Flew out of Carcassonne last week.  Yes, lots of people queuing, but as I'd checked in on line I just went straight through security without any hassle.  Must admit it didn't TELL you anywhere to do this, but as I've checked in on line for other airports I simply assumed and the assumption was correct.

[quote user="dave21478"]

Bad weather seemingly. I was standing outside in a t-shirt, getting damp due to the drizzle,

[/quote]

Well it did get rather wetter than that by 10am and as the day progressed over near Olonzac, where I was trying to do my shopping.  The weather is always wetter (when it is wet, if you see what I mean!) in Carcassonne than further east.  Or maybe he was a trainee pilot???!!!

Without knowing the weather on the day, and the state of the aircraft  I doubt it's a trainee pilot issue...it's more likely to a combination of weather and the equipment available on the ground at the airport.

Carcassonne has an East/West shortish runway that has it's only Instrument Landing System (ILS) -  a radio guidance system which allows approaches to be flown  in low cloudbase and visibility - set up for aircraft  landing towards the East. So if the wind is Easterly ( the prevailing wind in that area) then the crew can "fly the ILS" and should have adequate guidance to fly a straight in approach down to around 200 feet ( and usually down to a visibility of 550 metres).

However ( still with me???).......if the wind is a stiff Westerly then landings have to be to the West ( because of the runway length). In that case the crew/aircraft have to fly the ILS approach down to a minimum altitude, level off and then circle around the airport to finally land to the East. No problems if the cloudbase and visibilty is OK and it gives you a good view of the Cite, but if the visibilty is not great ( perhaps < 5 Kms) and the cloudbase at/much below a 1000' ( each airline has it's own figures)  then such a procedure is forbidden.

In short you are always going to have problems at Carcassonne when you have a strong Westerly wind and poor visibilty/low cloudbase.  That can only be fixed when someone pays for the airport to install a rather expensive  ILS on the "other end" ... and who is going to pay for that [;-)]

See...there's is more to the job than pressing "go" and doing the crossword....[:)]

[quote user="Stefan"]

However ( still with me???).......if the wind is a stiff Westerly then landings have to be to the West ( because of the runway length) and in that case the crew/aircraft have to "circle" around from the ILS approach to land to the East. No problems if the cloudbase and visibilty is OK and it gives you a good view of the Cite, but if the visibilty is not great ( perhaps < 5 Kms) and the cloudbase at/much below a 1000' ( each airline has it's own figures)  then such a procedure is forbidden.

In short you are always going to have problems at Carcassonne when you have a strong Westerly wind and poor visibilty/low cloudbase.  That can only be fixed when someone pays for the airport to install a rather expensive  ILS on the "other end" ... and who is going to pay for that [;-)]

[/quote]

The weather did deteriorate during the day and it has been foul for 2-3 days, with a westerly wind, and I would say low cloud (I saw low cloud where I had not seen it before), so your guestimate of the problem might be quite accurate.  And I agree you do get a splendid view of La Cite!