Hello? Tunisia, now Egypt, is the Arab world taking a different direction, is travel freedom on the distant horizon?

just john

I deliberately posted on this area of the forum. The way we travel is fundamental. I have flown around the world for years, yet without having my belt and shoes removed and my toiletries and water excluded from a cabin bag. (especially when flights are cancelled and you find yourself mid journey to overnight somewhere). - Whereas now when flying from UK across the water to France, this is exactly what happens.

I can't understand why no one on the forum is discussing these revolutions of the will of the People, especially the uprisings in North Africa.

Its early days of course but perhaps democracy's could form, with less aggression towards the west with an impact on the relations of other Middle eastern countries?

Am I naive?, could we not hope that this progress could lead to more relaxed regimes and subsequently less restrictions on travel security as a result?

Teapot, maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I hadn't thought of events in Tunisia and Egypt as having a positive impact on travel. I very much hope that the future of these and other countries is resolved in a democratic way, and maybe there could be a glimmer of hope for restrictions being eased.

By the way, I seem to remember hearing predictions that rules on liquids taken in cabin luggage were to be eased last summer.

There is much of North Africa in France, Tunisia was named so only after French occupation, which lasted until the independence of Tunisia in 1956, there is much of Tunisia in French history and many Tunisians in France, and common use of French language in Tunisia. While France amongst others was in Egypt after Suez and left a legacy all over the European parts of Cairo of French middle class influence.
More specifically as I posted North Africa influences the Arab world and in turn they influence the travel requirement/restrictions we are obliged to go through when we fly.
Whether we like it or not what happens in North Africa will have an influence on France and us. I don't see a strong political Islamic side in either country and if interviews on TV are anything to go by their politics are more in line with a Democracy, hopefully this is so and hopefully this will affect other Middle eastern countries.

That's what I like most about the current North Africa revolutions, they are not cleric led, people of the texting / internet generation have wised up a bit, and can see what goes down elsewhere, I'm hopeful Khomeini is past his sell by date and maybe he and his peasant protege are due to get theirs . . .  come the revolution,
just like the 'Glorious' and French revolution did[;-)]

[quote user="just john "]

people of the texting / internet generation have wised up a bit, and can see what goes down elsewhere, [/quote]

Don't kid yourself, they're in a minority, if a vocal one from the overseas press's point of view.

And no-one there will be even slightly bothered about your travel problems.

Look at the foto at the top of this article, at the two characters on the right at the back and you will get an idea of who is pulling the strings of the anti-Mubarak revolt, with the bazaris and disenchanted youth as cannon fodder. As in Iran!

There was a short clip on the news of prayer time at Cairo during the riots, and the whole crowd was down on their knees. Afterwards, the riot resumed. Says something I think.

http://www.liberation.fr/monde/01012316841-emeute-et-evasion-dans-une-prison-proche-du-caire

What price Brent Crude now and the £8 gallon or 2e litre . . .,  Perfectly peaceful to shut the canal
Remember 1967 and the Six Day War, the canal was closed for over eight years by an Egyptian blockade until 1975.
What price Far eastern trade, all those no longer cheap things from China.

What could a poor Arab do? at least put up charges . . .

Obama lacks the bottle to grasp the nettle. Sarah Palin would know what to do. She would have Manning' mother in Gitmo in no time at all; then a couple of videos of  her first day of water-boarding and Manning would be up next day with a confession that there was complicity with Assange. That's my girl Sarah! Dont retreat, stand firm and Reload!

The regimes who control the important oil producing Arab nations are, for the most part, benign or benevolent dictatorships who have vastly improved the lot of their nationals so the impetus for popular uprisings, such as happened in Tunisia and is currently occurring in Egypt, simply does not exist.

I can't quote the numbers but in most cases the majority of the populations of these countries will be comprised of guest workers who again have neither the impetus, nor the cumulative power, to revolt.

The biggest fear with Egypt IMO is that if the 'nutters' as Wooly puts it gain control I can't imagine that the current relationship with neighbouring Israel will be allowed to stand and that can only lead to open conflict and very possibly all out war.

The failure to induce the fall of the regime on "Bye Bye Day" means that the "instability" will continue for a while. This will almost certainly have the fortuitous result that the Muslim Brotherhood will be drawn in to mainstream politics, leading to a non terrorist legal standing.

Having lived and worked in the middle east for many years, in particular Egypt I have been watching the events unfold with interest.

I am have many friends still there both Egyptians and non Egyptian nationals.

All of the Egyptians I have managed to speak to over the last few days all want Mubarak to go.

I hope that out of the ashes a new era of democracy will rise.

At first looking at the reports I was very hopeful but this thing with 'Terrorism?' on the gas pipe leads me to think that Mubarak and his thugs will do significant damage before this happens and whether outside regimes will then move in is all in the air. I am concerned that this could affect us through another war around Israel and the Suez canal. I don't think it is too far fetched that the thing that dare not speak its name of course is if the nutters nuke someone or thing,

[quote user="pachapapa"]Obama lacks the bottle to grasp the nettle. Sarah Palin would know what to do. She would have Manning' mother in Gitmo in no time at all; then a couple of videos of  her first day of water-boarding and Manning would be up next day with a confession that there was complicity with Assange. That's my girl Sarah! Dont retreat, stand firm and Reload![/quote]

Action Plan: a USS attack submarine into a deep water anchorage near Milford Haven; then undercover of night a furtive group moves towards Haverford West; picks up Mrs Manning and hot foots it back to the submarine. Anchors up and away, Gitmo here we come.