One way to bypass fees on Easyjet

Department71

Saw below in Mail on Sunday 27th Feb2011. May be of interest to folks who have a CB card linked to their French bank account.

Steve

-----------------------------------------------------

Those with a French bank account who have a Carte Bleue - a

debit card that allows transactions without authorization from the bank

- can also buy easyJet tickets without the surcharge.

Property developer Tony McGorrigan, 57, from Bristol, owns a

property in Corsica and has a Carte Bleue with his French bank account.

He flies to Nice about five times a year to get a connection to

Corsica. 'EasyJet is usually the cheapest airline but its high card

charges really annoy me,' he says. 'I recently bought a single ticket

from Nice to Bristol for 79 euros [£67] and easyJet was about to levy a

12.50 euros charge.

'I used my Carte Bleue and was able to avoid the fee, but I

know other consumers in the UK cannot get around it. I think the

regulators should crack down on companies profiteering in this way.'

[quote user="sweet 17"]I always use my carte bleue.  My bank is the banque postal and I have never had to pay charges.[/quote]

Sorry sweet but I'm a little confused, do you mean you don't pay charges to on line sellers or that  you don't pay charges for your carte bleue? I thought that for a carte bleue you had to pay a yearly fee?

Apologies, Nick, it's just like me not to look into all the nitty-gritty.  Yes, I dare say we pay something for the carte bleue so we only have the one card.

But, you know what, it's never a problem whichever of us uses the card?  Nobody has ever said to me, but you aren't a man and this card has a masculine name?

The difference with Easyjet is that they give you the option to select "Carte Bleue" as a type of card, thus avoiding the charges. Ryanair don't distinguish between debit Mastercard and credit Mastercard.

Booked Toulouse to Paris with Easyjet last year and most chuffed that this avoided the card fees.

Just recently booked a return to the UK with bmibaby who also charge a credit card fee so it's not just Ryanair making money hand over fist.....

Lou

[quote user="sweet 17"] ....But, you know what, it's never a problem whichever of us uses the card?  Nobody has ever said to me, but you aren't a man and this card has a masculine name?[/quote] Same here, our Mastercard on CA is in my wife's name but I use it freely wherever I travel even on my own. If the 4 digit code is accepted, they don't give 3 hoots about it.

[quote user="Sprogster"]Ryanair charge the highest credit/debit card fees.

Easyjet's are considerably lower,which is worth bearing in mind when comparing fares,especially where a family is concerned.[/quote]

So can you explain why Easyjet charge £5.50 but Ryanair charge £5.00 for credit cards fees as far as I can see?