Finally, a bit of joined-up thinking

Pickles

Those of us in the UK will know of foreign-registered cars that one strongly suspects of outstaying their welcome, being able to avoid fines etc. According to the Bellylaph, until now, although HMRC in its role as the Borders Agency records the entry and exit of all foreign-registered vehicles, it has not so far actually shared this information with the police!

However there is now to be a trial, which will run from November 3 to February, under which the DVLA and

Hampshire, Northamptonshire, Staffordshire, Thames Valley, West Mercia and

West Midlands police forces will gain access to the HMRC database for the

first time.

I'll start to believe that REAL joined-up thinking is taking place when the Borders Agency starts preventing vehicles that have incurred fines (eg speeding fines) from exiting the country until said fines have been paid. Having seen foreign-registered lorries and other vehicles blatantly ignoring average speed limit systems in roadworks, it's about time that the playing-field was levelled.

It will certainly help them to take action against those that dont re-register their cars in as much as giving them proof of how long it has been in the UK, how often it returns to the continent etc, it will also prevent people being unfairly detained. As you say unless that actually start stopping vehicles and levying on the spot fines or doing it at the border crossings which is a good idea, then it wont change much.

The UK seems to be relying more and more on automated penalties or should I call it money gathering, if they were concerened about road safety then they would do like the French, have patrols on the road and issue on the spot fines to any foreign motorist or arrest them and get them in court the next day, as it is its just money gathering IMHO.

I understand that the Darford tunnel and river crossing are soon to be devoid of humans and the tolls are to be paid by text message or internet and fines for non compliance sent out, how on earth is that going to work for a foreign visitor who may not speak the language and probably wont be able to pay the toll even if he wanted to.

If they use this joined up thinking to bring in even more revenue by fining the foreign holidaymakers what kind of a message is that going to send out.

It will be interesting to see the results of the trial period as to whether it is actually an exercise worth doing. As far as I can see the problem will lie in enforcement. You can have all the technology you like but if you don't have people on the ground doing the linking up then I can only see it bringing in a handful of fines. More likely is that hope it will act as a deterrent.

[quote user="PaulT"]Plus Norman British builders also seem keen not to re-register their vans.[/quote]

What, prey, is a 'Norman British builder'. I suspect that is be someone sponsored by Norman who is making a flipping fortune out of illegal work, or a Norman person who has survived in UK, pure and unsullied with no Anglo-Saxon blood and who is now on the fiddle in France? Please elucidate.