January weather watch

vivienz

All eyes in our house are glued to the weather forecast at the moment.  Wouldn't you know it, the evening we're due to sail over France (Portsmouth - St Malo) and collect the keys to our house, 41 mph winds are coming in from the south west.  Brittany Ferries say that they've only cancelled the Spanish sailing on Wednesday for the time being, but I'm out to get some sea sickness pills tomorrow as if it goes ahead, it'll be an interesting ride.  Fun, fun, fun!

SWMBO uses those little lakky bands that go on your wrists. They have a small pressure thingy that presses on the inside of the wrist. They work for her.

I have never been motion sick, well, except when the world wouldn't stop going round and round [8-)], so I can only go on the Chefs' words, they work for her!!

Congratulations on the keys too [:D]

If it's going to be rough I am sure BF will advise everyone to have a cabin if they've not already booked one and tell them to be careful how they move around the ship.

My advice FWIW is to not each too much for dinner, forget the 4 course meal and wine in the posh restaurant.

Got to bed early and remain horizontal in your bunk for the night. Those ferries are pretty stable and we have found that in the cabins on deck 1 at the bottom of the ship you are less likely to be aware of the motion.

Bon voyage

About 3 years ago I crossed the Bay of Biscay with BF - winds were much worse than that, and actually I found trying to lie on the bunk was the worst place .. head up and down all the time.  I'm a good sailor, so wasn't ill, but much preferred to be upright.  And I had a good meal in the restaurant - only problem, the meal wouldn't stay on the table due to the rocking ... not funny at the time but I laughed about it afterwards.  I ended up having three meals served to me, before I managed to consume one before it too before it too landed on the floor!

But all through it, I never thought the ship was going to founder, they are pretty stable these days.

Like Pickles, I prefer the tunnel, but simply because of speed and convenience ....

We have a nice cabin booked, so it will be a light supper and bed for me, assuming the crossing is on.  If necessary, I'll take the knock-out drops, to.  I know the Bay of Biscay route - we encountered a force 8 on our way back from Spain a few years ago now, and that was quite brutal.  We were fortunate to have a cabin near the centre of the ship; some chaps nearer to the front had to strap themselves into their bunks!  We thought it was a bad sign when we boarded and there were no glasses out at any of the bars.

The tunnel isn't that convenient for us - it would be a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive on this side, and at least the same again in France.  Portsmouth is only about 40 mins away, then the house is 30 minutes from St Malo, so driving is minimal and bulk of the travelling out is done overnight.

[quote user="Pickles"]I am a firm believer in that if god had wanted us to go by ship, he/she would've stopped us from digging the Channel Tunnel ...

[/quote]

No no Pickles you got it rong mate! If dog had meant us to go underground she would have given us likkle front paws with sharp claws for digging and fur that goes both backwards and forwards. She would have also called us moles.

I can swim, but I can't dig! I once went both ways through the Mnt Blanc tunnel, before the big crash and fire, and I swore that I would NEVER go in that or another tunnel of any length again nad I have stuck ot it!!

[quote user="Jonzjob"][quote user="Pickles"]I am a firm believer in that if god had wanted us to go by ship, he/she would've stopped us from digging the Channel Tunnel ...

[/quote]

No no Pickles you got it rong mate! If dog had meant us to go underground she would have given us likkle front paws with sharp claws for digging and fur that goes both backwards and forwards. She would have also called us moles.

I can swim, but I can't dig! I once went both ways through the Mnt Blanc tunnel, before the big crash and fire, and I swore that I would NEVER go in that or another tunnel of any length again nad I have stuck ot it!!

[/quote]

The whole town where I grew up stands on now-abandoned coal mines. A good chunk of my family (cousins, uncles, grandparents etc) worked down t'pit. Anyway, you haven't seen the state of my hands and fur ...

And I can be seasick on a millpond, or as we call them, a lodge or a flash (the latter being a lake formed by subsidence).

I am possibly the world's worse sailor.

I have thrown up on every type of craft known to Mankind
except a windsurfer, probably because I couldn't stay on it long enouogh.

I even feel queasy on damp grass [;-)]

I've tried every 'remedy' (including the lacky bands), all useless !  Unless my eyes and ears are in perfect agreement, I'm off.

The only thing I had partial success with was jam sandwiches because they taste exactly the same on the way out as on the way in [+o(]

Another who could never travel on water, I used to take cognac onto ferries as it helped, and it couldn't be bought from the bar until under way. After hearing about ginger I found it really worked for me, used to buy ginger capsules when fresh ginger wasn't as available as now, and even resorted to ginger biscuits when needed on Orkney. Now I use the tunnel.

There's nothing better than being on a boat that goes up at 45 degrees followed by down at the same angle, the trouble is that it's only fun if you are the boat driver. It's almost as much fun as parachuting / abseiling face down / bungee jumping.

Adrenaline junkie - who me ???????

The first and last time we sailed from Caen, my better half said that she felt queasy after just a few minutes on board.

How can you I said, we are still tied up alongside, besides which, it was like a millpond.

Poor woman.

Myself, I've been through the worst the sea can throw at you, including three Typhoons in the Indian Ocean, plus lots more around the world. I love a bit of roughers to be honest.

Having said that, landing in a Helicopter on a Frigate in a South Atlantic storm had it's moments.

Vivienz Wrote some chaps nearer to the front had to strap themselves into their bunks!

Been there .....I always book a 4 berth so we are on the lower bunks its worth the extra few pounds to us to avoid what could at our age be a serious injury rolling off a top bunk I had one of my kids do it once and he bounced thankfully ... If you have to use a top bunk and we have been in a force 10 where the ships prop was coming out of the water it was so rough... put the mattress from the top bunk on the floor and stay safe .

[quote user="Pickles"][quote user="powerdesal"]There's nothing better than being on a boat that goes up at 45 degrees followed by down at the same angle, [/quote]

Oh yes there is! A cup of tea and a nice piece of Wensleydale, Gromit ....

[/quote]

That wouldn't work for me Pickles, I don't drink tea !!!

However.....a nice piece of Wensleydale or, better still, a piece of Lancashire crumbly, now that's a thought........