800 years

NormanH

De Montfort is now the largest University in the UK, I heard recently!

But what on earth are they CELEBRATING/  up to a million people where killed in south west France - Christians killing Christians, in the most fanatical way that can be imagined.. How can that be celebrated? It was a dark dark time for the area.

5 mins later, self edited.

Ok, having read the link - it is great that the town wants to celebrate the way their population refused to give in the Cathars living among them. I was not aware of that, sorry.

[quote user="odile"]De Montfort is now the largest University in the UK, I heard recently!

[/quote]

May be. However, it is not named after the gentleman referred to in the first post, but his son.

When Beziers was sacked during the Albigensian crusade, Amaud-Amaury, abbot of Citeau was asked how cathars could be distinguished from catholics. He replied "Kill them all. God will recognise his own."

Edit: Cathars were not christians in any accepted sense of the word. They believed that the physical world was the domain of Satan and that the spiritual world was God's domain. One could only enter God's world by eschewing the physical and becoming a "parfait" - no worldly goods, no sex ...

[quote user="odile"]De Montfort is now the largest University in the UK, I heard recently!

But what on earth are they CELEBRATING/  up to a million people where killed in south west France - Christians killing Christians, in the most fanatical way that can be imagined.. How can that be celebrated? It was a dark dark time for the area.

5 mins later, self edited.

Ok, having read the link - it is great that the town wants to celebrate the way their population refused to give in the Cathars living among them. I was not aware of that, sorry.

[/quote]

I think it was my fault for using the word celebrate...