tax foncier

fussy

If i go to the notaire will that not incur more expense? Especially if it`s just to tell us we have to pay it;

Can i just add that when we arrived at the house from the notaires and couldn`t get our stuff in because there`s was still in, the vendors had rented out the house that week to a load of rugby players that week for a stag do party. You can imagine what the house was like as they`d only left that morning. Anyway as i was outside crying  our french neighbours came over, and when they saw the state of the place, he stormed off. Within half an hour there was three vans outside our place and various cars & trailers.He had contacted as many of the English and the French in the village as could help us.They emptied the whole house and did numerous trips to the dechetterie all day. Beers and wines appeared, women turned up with food for everybody, so a good day was had by all. I`ll never forget what they all did for us that day, and could never in a month of sundays repay them back. You`ve got to remember this was a five bedroomed house full of furniture etc that was no good to man nor beast. They hadn`t even emptied any drawers.

Oh and there wasn`t a clean toilet in the house ugh.

Thanks again everybody  [:D][:)][:D]

[quote user="Geordie girl"]

If i go to the notaire will that not incur more expense? Especially if it`s just to tell us we have to pay it; [/quote]

Not usually as you will already have paid the notaire's bill for the purchase and this query relates to part of that process. If the notaire does something new ie he writes a letter on your behalf to the vendor then there might be a small charge.

Please heed Benjamin's excellent advice re checking to make sure the vendor has paid the foncier bill before you send any money to anyone. The habitation bill for 2007 is nothing to do with you and you should resist all demands for payment.

You sound as though you had a miserable and thoughtless vendor but, happily, you have some splendid neighbours by the sound of it.

Good luck

Sue

Think I would say to the vendor that the cheque is waiting for him - all he needs to do is come and remove his rubbish and then you will give it to him.

As he left the rubbish even if it is in the Acte I would not pay - is it worth his while taking you to a French court to fight for it?

Still, at least you found out that where you have bought has excellent neighbours.

Paul

Hi Paul, it wasn`t just normal rubbish, there were 4 double beds/mattresses and stinking bedding/pillows

6 single beds/mattresses bedding & pillows,

1950 side boards, 3 legged sofas and all the rest of the old furniture, even tablelamps pictures on the walls. The man at the dechetterie didnt even want it. No disrespect intended there.No drawers or cupboards emptied & cleaned. Vomit on the loo floors;

They rented it out as a holiday home, god knows what the people thought when they got here, and saw what they`d paid good money for. Honestly i could write a book. He came back after we`d been here three months to attend a wedding in the village and he came to see us. My OH blasted him about the state of the house and he said "oh i thought you might have wanted the furniture so we left it". We have still got the paper that he signed saying he would empty the house, and we will take it to the notaires when we go next week. Oh nearly forgot to mention, he`d left us a note to say there was a pizza in the fridge,( it wasn`t working, ) in case we were hungry on arrival. It was 3 days out of date.

I will let you all know the outcome after we`ve been to see the notaire, as i  really appreciate all your replies.

Maybe we should start a new thread, " The nightmare arrival in France" It can`t just be me.

Hi everybody, just a quick update, been to see the notaire today.

To cut a long story short, we have to pay the taxe foncier ( 9 months ) . The Taxe d`habitation he can swing for, we do not pay it.

Thanks again all who replied with their helpful posts. You`re a great lot on here; [:D]

[/quote]

Imagine the following as a scenario.

You pay the seller. The seller doesn't pay the Trésor Public. Sometime in the future the Trésor Public work out that you were responsible for part of the year. The Trésor Public start to chase you for your proportional payment.

Much wiser to go to the Trésor Public now and explain what has been going on and offer to pay them directly for your share. This way you will find out if the seller has actually paid the Trésor Public.

Maybe we should start a new thread, " The nightmare arrival in France" It can`t just be me.

[/quote]

It isn't always a nightmare. Our vendors were English. There was an option of buying all the contents which we did not want. However, having had our offer accepted, which was to include the above ground swimming pool, the vendors, via the agent asked if we wanted the white goods for free which we thought would be useful. However, I wanted an inventory included in the Compris but the agent said this was not possible.

Between the Compris and Acte I started to think all deep thoughts and decided that I wanted to inspect on the day before signing the Acte. The agent told me that this was not really possible but the vendors would be at the house and I could visit then.

We visited and they had cleared the house except for the white goods and pool. They gave us a tour and asked if we wanted them to leave the chainsaw, wood branch chopper up (whatever they are called) and several other handy things.

We told them not to bother cleaning as we were going to take a wall down. However, when we gained possession they had thoroughly cleaned inspite of my telling them not to bother.

Luck of the draw and it sounds as though GG you have been very unlucky. Still, I will repeat think that without your experience you would not have found out so rapidly how kind your neighbours are.

Paul  

The cheque is going off today as i refuse to let the greed of my sellers spoil what is a lovely time for us just now. We are now open for business with our b&b and we`ve even got some bookings. I hate bad feeling so feel it`s time to  pay what is owing  and move on. What a lovely experience you had P2, wish our English sellers had been as good but like you said if nothing else, we got to meet our smashing neighbours early on.

Our experience was similar to P2's. Everything very friendly and amicable. We did visit on the morning before signing the Acte, principally because we had agreed to privately purchase some items and wanted to settle that side of things but also to do an inspection, which again we had agreed upon when we signed the Compromis, so no feelings of mistrust, just business. We also knew the vendor was planning to head straight off to Bordeaux from the Notaire's so didn't want to hold her up unneccessarily.

The Taxe reimbursement was agreed and written into the Compromis or the Acte, I don't recall which, and in due course she sent us a copy of the bill, all neatly and correctly worked out, and we sent her a cheque.

I'll admit I don't know the law on this but logically, the fact it was detailed during the transaction, as was Claire's, suggests it is not a legal obligation and therefore, in the absence of such an agreement, your vendor probably has no grounds for demanding it.

Morally and ethically though are questions for you alone to wrestle with but I see you have decided to pay anyway which is probably the right thing in the end. Tit for tat is seldom truly satisfying [;-)]