Random Poo

Hi All

This is a bit of a weird one, we have woodland surrounding our property and on a walk with the dog yesterday I noticed that just as I reached the top of the hill which faces our house there was a pile of horse poo, no mistaking it, it is horse poo.  Now there are no horses any where near here, this is land that we own and so I think that's strange, move a few steps, another pile of poo, then another and another, all under a large oak tree, move a few more steps and there is a pile of hay. 

So what's going on in my woods do you think?  It's not the sort of place you would take a horse to graze, it's about 250 metres from the lane which passes our land, there are loads of empty, fenceless fields nearby so no shortage of grazing.  The woods are dense and so grass is not great.  There also appears to have been a vehicle that has driven to this area, there is an overgrown track which looks like it has been driven on recently.

So what do you think?  We have seen deer in the woods and once they came down to drink form the lake, that was fantastic, but horses never!

Panda

Well, I guess a horse might have strayed but it's unlikely it would have brought its own supply of hay with it! Sounds like maybe a traveller has left their animal tethered overnight.  Are there any signs that a tether has been tied near by/to a tree etc?

Hi Cooperlola

I would tend to agree that was the only logical explanation we could come too, although there are no signs of a tether or a place where a tehter was.  It is also a bit odd that we didn't see anyone in the wood, it's not that far from our house, just the other side of the lake, and they would have had to have been very quiet too. 

My only other thought is that due to the requirements for horse passports  these days someone has abandoned a horse in the woods not wanting to go through the registration and costs involved, doesn't really seem likely though that again they would leave hay , I'm hopeful of this one though and will go shake a bucket and see if my dream horse comes galloping along to the sound of the theme tune to black beauty..........

Nice thought, been trying to get the OH to agree to having one for ages, this could be my big chance..........

Maybe they thought your roses were in need of nourishment, and rather than offer, they just left you a little board and lodging in the way of free fertilizer ???

Maybe it was a traveller with an old romany style caravan ??? Never heard of one here but you never know !!

[quote user="Panda "]

Hi All

This is a bit of a weird one, we have woodland surrounding our property and on a walk with the dog yesterday I noticed that just as I reached the top of the hill which faces our house there was a pile of horse poo, no mistaking it, it is horse poo.  Now there are no horses any where near here, this is land that we own and so I think that's strange, move a few steps, another pile of poo, then another and another, all under a large oak tree, move a few more steps and there is a pile of hay. 

So what's going on in my woods do you think? 

Panda

[/quote]

Hi Panda,

are dumbfounded or dung founded,

Leo

[quote user="sharkhunter"]

Maybe it was a traveller with an old romany style caravan ??? Never heard of one here but you never know !!
[/quote]There are certainly a couple with this type of 'van who stop in the village for a couple of days once a year.

My first thought was travellers. Years ago a friend of mine parked his car on the Trent riverbank and went off the watch the Aegir.

When he came back, one of the travellers' horses, which HAD been ground tethered 100m away, had broken it's tether, and then "attacked an interloper", or  rather it's reflection in the bonnet of his brand new Polo.

Whoops.

Travellers denied any responsibility............