Can anybody identify this for me please

Found this weird looking thing growing in the gritty/sandy soil on the bank at the back of our house.  The bank at this time of year is completely shaded from any sun that we do get. It looks a bit like a small leathery egg with a squid just about to emerge from it and it doesn't smell very nice.  there was a group of about four of them but this was the only one worth photoing as the others were starting to decay.

[IMG]http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh180/LimousinLass/IMGP0592.jpg[/IMG]

Does anyone know what it is called please.

Thanks

Sylvia

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

So am I !  Looks like a bit of old cold turkey skin with bits of squid sticking out with cranberry sauce on.  What's that bit of string on the left ?  Are you sure it's not something your dog buried after Christmas ?

[/quote]

Sorry but I'm with Christine on this one[+o(]

But it could be a Noelgullibleism or a Noellegpullmus [;-)]

Jackie  

Chrispp where are you when I need you.

Please be assured this is not any sort of trick, we don't like turkey, squid or cranberry sauce so none of that is available and what looks like a piece of string is actually the root. 

I was tidying up all of the plastic, polystyrene and other rubbish the builders had left lying about when they went off for their Christmas break as I didn't want any of our animals picking it up or for it to blow into our lakes, and saw this bit of pinky red, when I picked it up it really made me jump when about 8 what look like tentacles came out with it.  After the initial shock I had a dig around and found four, what look like small eggs, three of them starting to decay and the one in the photograph with the tentacles just starting to emerge.

At first I thought it was some sort of fungus but now I think it maybe a type of carnivorous plant.

If anyone is interested I will see if I can get some other decent photos.

Sylvia

PS. Roast beef and all the trimmings for Christmas dinner, delicious.

Hi Chas

Thank you for putting me out of my misery and identifying my find.

Are they very common in France?  Is it quite rare? should I throw it away or try planting it back where I found it?

I am so glad it wasn't a Noelgullibleism or a Noellegpullmus, I didn't like the sound of those at all!!!!

Thanks again

Sylvia

[quote user="Chas"]

It looks like a fungus "clathrus archeri" introduced into Europe from southern asia about 40 years ago. This link is one version. 

http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/species/Clathrus_archeri.html

[/quote]

[:$]

[+o(]

Sorry LL what a weird thing to find, when I read your tale of the builders rubbish I thought ahh its a practical joke, as I first thought, but after Chas's find I have changed my mind.

Jackie

[quote user="Limousin Lass"]

Hi Chas

Thank you for putting me out of my misery and identifying my find.

Are they very common in France?  Is it quite rare? should I throw it away or try planting it back where I found it?

Sylvia

[/quote]

This member (ahem!) of the same family is more common but doesnt take kindly to being replanted[6]

http://www.sabine-deschandol.info/pages%20aperture/champignons/grand-60.html