Can anyone identify...

...this grub.  My wife is sorting out the pots for this year's planting, and is finding hundreds of the little blighters.  We just wondered what they were, and if there was a known way of stopping their "parents" laying their eggs in the first place!

[IMG]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee284/Khazi22/Various/Grub.jpg[/IMG]

Chris

Thanks Clair.  Following your link through, and checking the various photos available, it would appear that they are most likely to be Rose Chafers.   That being the case, the narrative suggests that this particular chafer doesn't do any damage, which is not consistent with the damaged plants that Julie has found with clusters of these monsters around their roots!

Chris

I have suffered with these every year in my pots of geraniums and yes they love eating the roots of them and other bedding plants,so I would end up with some very sad looking flowers.

I have found a product called Capsicol at the garden centre which I put in the pots when I plant initially and there was a dramatic improvement.  I also found some in the flower beds this week, so may have to sprinkle it around there too.

Judy

You need to be a bit careful as all the chaffer larvae look similar and also Oak Beetles.

Poor old Oak Beetles need a couple of years in a compost bin or in rotting wood before they can become beetles.

Chaffers do a lot of good work fertilizing blossom on trees for instance.

Don't kill them move them on.