Is your French house safe from sea level rise ?

Frederick

It would appear if the latest predictions of the rise in sea level we can expect are accurate My house will have beach frontage . Nice you might say ....but it will be on an island the size of a couple of football pitches ....cant see Brittany Ferries wanting to take me there !

[quote user="Clair"]It's a good thing we're at 650m then, since I can't swim... [:'(]
[/quote]

Clair, I'm in a state of shock!  You mean, there is actually something that you can't do?

Oh, la, la, c'est vraiment incroyable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![:-))]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

[quote user="Clair"]It's a good thing we're at 650m then, since I can't swim... [:'(]

[/quote]

Clair, I'm in a state of shock!  You mean, there is actually something that you can't do?

Oh, la, la, c'est vraiment incroyable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![:-))]

[/quote]

[:D][:D][:P]

[quote user="Frederick"]It would appear if the latest predictions of the rise in sea level we can expect are accurate My house will have beach frontage . Nice you might say ....but it will be on an island the size of a couple of football pitches ....cant see Brittany Ferries wanting to take me there ![/quote]

I was watching 'Coast' the other day and they visited a village/town that used to be a fishing port but due to the sea level dropping it is now several miles inland from the sea where at one time it was on the coast. I believe this is not the only place in the UK and I suspect the same has happened in France at some time or another. I was looking at some old photo's of our river (Aude) in the mayors office the other day, its much smaller than it was about 100 years ago, I wonder where all the water has gone?

I was reading the other day in The Times that the historic raw data used by scientists to predict global warming, sorry climate change, have been 'accidentally' deleted/destroyed so all we have been left with is different scientists interpretations of the data which vary quite dramatically. Still it keeps our minds off the other trivial things like wars and people starving to death.

[quote user="JohnRoss"]

We had a minor quake here in Deux Sevres in 2001. About 4 on the Richter scale and lasted 10 seconds. I thought it was a lorry going down the road but no. A few minor cracks but nothing serious. Happens quite often I gather................JR

See http://www.alertes-meteo.com/tremblement_de_terre/zones_sismiques.htm

[/quote]

JR, so that's where all those "rochers bralants" up your neck of the woods came from.  They were left there by erupting volcanoes.

I was enchanted with them when I was in 79 and 85 a month or so ago.  I thought they looked wonderful and tried rocking them.

I wouldn't worry, if I were you, it's only the global warming alarmists trying to frighten everyone - again.

The sea levels rise and fall by a considerable amount everywhere twice a day, they're called "tides" - an unlikely change in sea levels of a millimetre or two either way over the centuries will have little effect. After all, levels have remained sort of static for a few thousand years at least, and the residency of humans on this planet for a few seconds in the planet's virtual lifetime will make little difference.

Chris

But have you seen the coastline in south Yorks? No doubt there that the sea is encroaching. But there the cliffs are clay, so that make a difference.

Houses built near the coastline there regularly break away and slide down onto the beach.

Not France I know but there could be parallels here.

[quote user="Quillan"]  I was watching 'Coast' the other day and they visited a village/town that used to be a fishing port but due to the sea level dropping it is now several miles inland from the sea where at one time it was on the coast. I believe this is not the only place in the UK and I suspect the same has happened in France at some time or another. [/quote]

I had an idyllic time once sitting in the Roman Amphitheatre in

Corinth, where St Paul wrote his letters.  In his day, it was on the

coast and is now, 2000 years later, considerably inland.

Where I live in France (the Medoc), during Roman times used to be a series of islands.  Now it is land - for the time being...

Quillan wrote: ''I believe this is not the only place in the UK and I suspect the same has happened in France at some time or another''. We visit Aigues Mortes, where they used to set sail on the Crusades. The sea is now away from the town, with salt collecting going on between the town walls and the sea. Incidentally, 2 bulls escaped towards the sea when we were at the fete votive in September - great fun was had by everyone, as all the young men streamed out after them, followed by men on horseback!

Our apartment in France is on the second floor, and our town is uphill. Our UK house is halfway up a hill too; did we know something when we bought?

[quote user="Patf"]

But have you seen the coastline in south Yorks? No doubt there that the sea is encroaching. But there the cliffs are clay, so that make a difference.

Houses built near the coastline there regularly break away and slide down onto the beach.

Not France I know but there could be parallels here.

[/quote]

I'm sure that happens in parts of France as well. I wonder if like the Brits they build houses on known flood plains and then complain when they flood? Where I spent my childhood there was a big area of fields that always flooded, there is a housing estate there now and its right at the bottom of a hill. Of course its not always the case I mean look at the last load of floods but normally when they film flooding its outside new(ish) houses.

[quote user="Cathy"][quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

So, a question for you all.  How many of each type of animal did Moses take on the Ark?

[/quote]

A trick, is it, seeing that it was Noah?

[/quote]

Well done for spotting that, obviously I can't catch you lot out but the rest of the question still stands.

How many of each type of animal did Noah take on the Ark?

Supplementary question - Why were there no unicorns on the ark?  (assuming they were real and not mythical)

• 1 month later...
The Baie de Somme is gradually filling in with pré-salé marshland - Noyelles-sur-Mer is quite a way inland and I imagine that within the century St-Valery-sur-Somme will be like Rye in Sussex.

And yet, about 10 km down the coast, Ault is falling into the sea - as graphically shown in the episode of Coast where they visited Northern France.

However, as sea levels rise I am wondering if this will counter the marshification (?) of the Baie - will have to see if sea or sand win the day! If sea, then my house is two short flights of steps up from the water's edge currently, so may be in trouble one day. Doubt I will be around to see it, though.