Solar eclipse.

Anyone see it? I had a look to see if anyone had posted and was surprised that I could find nowt? I got this photo at 10.35 this morning through one of me welding shields. It came out quite well seeing that the glass in the shield is not the cleanest [:'(]

[URL=http://s47.photobucket.com/user/Jonzjob/media/Nature/Solar%20eclipse%2020.3.2015_zps8udez6pi.jpg.html][IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Nature/Solar%20eclipse%2020.3.2015_zps8udez6pi.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

It decided that we had seen enough of the show now and has clouded over.

I guess that I'm a Philistine. Unlike the BBC, which has viewed the whole thing as life-changing.

Nothing very much happened down here because we're too far south - it just got a bit duller on an otherwise dull day.

However ........... would you rather spend a couple of hours at a halfway decent concert, or having a nice lunch in your favourite restaurant, or watching a decent game of rugby? I know that the eclipse was 'free' and good for the education of youngsters, but let's get real about this. In a few places in the northern hemisphere, it got dark during the day for a while.

The next full eclipse in Europe is apparently in 2090 - I'll give it a miss!

Gardian, most of the things you stated can be done anytime and as you pointed out the next one of these is 75 years away. I 'wasted' a very enjoyable 1/2 hour until it clouded over. Tomorrow I will watch 3 games of rugby, hopefully all good?

We are further south than you and you can see how much is covered here. I probably missed the fullest part too?

Plus, at 10.30 there's not much chance of a concert of any kind, restaurants aren't open and the rugby is still in the training session stage init already [:-))]

Think it must have been in the 80s when there was a full eclipse in the part of the UK where I was and a very surreal experience it was of rapidly going from daylight to pitch black and back to daylight.

Some of the beliefs of various civilizations was interesting.

Apparently, there is a book listing all the eclipses and where they are visible for the next 400 odd years - could be a good investment.

Paul, yes, I SAW that eclipse.  It was so strange, the light was like a deep violet colour and it felt as though the whole world stood still and every sound had a muffled quality.

Apparently, there were very few birds singing or flying about as they thought it was night time but I don't know where OH heard that one![:)]

[quote user="PaulT"]Think it must have been in the 80s when there was a full eclipse in the part of the UK where I was and a very surreal experience it was of rapidly going from daylight to pitch black and back to daylight. Some of the beliefs of various civilizations was interesting. Apparently, there is a book listing all the eclipses and where they are visible for the next 400 odd years - could be a good investment.[/quote]There were no full eclipses visible in the UK in the 1980s. You must be thinking of the one in 1999.

Mint, round us even though it was not a full eclipse the birds did fall silent. This is a common phenomenon so your OH is quite right.