Inheritance - No dependants

dexter

If I ever manage to sell the house here in the UK and finally realise my dream I would be in the position of being mortgage free, single with no children and  living in France.

Come the day when I eventually pop my clogs and given that I have no dependants what would happen to my estate? Not that I`d be bothered after my demise!

I do have a sister and brother if that would have any bearing on matters.  

As far as I know...

• Each surviving parent gets ¼  each and the surviving brother and sister inherit the rest.
  • If there is only one surviving parent, he/she gets ¼ and the brother and sister inherit the rest.
  • If there is no surviving parent, the brother and sister inherit the lot.

http://droit-finances.commentcamarche.net/transmission/ds10-succession-qui-herite.php3

[quote user="dexter"]mortgage free, single with no children and living in France.[/quote]

I likewise.  It is in many ways a very desirable state of affairs.

Except for the post mortem situation that you mention:

[quote user="dexter"]what would happen to my estate?[/quote]

Depending on the provisions of your will, your estate will stand in some danger of being swallowed up by Inheritance Tax at the punitive rate of 60%  -  unless you take informed action to avoid this dire eventuality.

I very strongly urge you to take advice in good time.  Once you become tax resident in France the benefits of certain very advantageous loopholes become much reduced  -  as I have learned to my cost. 

PS  A couple of points which I do not wish to discuss before the rude and scoffing multitude I have addressed to you in a mail.

[quote user="Ysatis "]What would happen if the OP or someone in a similar situation were to marry in the future?[/quote]

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/N173.xhtml?&n=Famille&l=N10&n=Succession%20et%20donation&l=N171

Principe

En l'absence d'enfants ou de descendants (enfants,petits-enfants) du défunt et de ses père et mère, le conjoint survivant recueille toute la succession.

Principle

In the absence of children or descendants (children,

grandchildren)
and the father and mother of the deceased, the surviving

spouse receives the entire estate.

Droit de retour légal sur les biens de famille

Les collatéraux privilégiés (frères et sœurs ou leurs descendants) bénéficient d'un droit de retour légal.

Ainsi, les "biens de famille" que le défunt a reçu de ses ascendants décédés, par succession ou donation, et qui se retrouvent en nature dans la succession sont, en l'absence de

descendants, transmis pour moitié aux collatéraux privilégiés descendants eux-mêmes du ou des parents à l'origine de la transmission.

Le conjoint survivant recueille la moitié de ces biens.

Right of return of family assets

The privileged heirs (brothers and sisters or their descendants) have a legal right of return.

Thus, the "family assets" that the deceased has received from his

deceased parents, by inheritance or donation, which are found in nature in

the succession are, in the absence of descendants, transmitted by half

to the
privileged heirs, descendants of the same or of the parents parents who initiated the transmission. The surviving spouse receives one half of these assets.

A noter :

lorsque le défunt ne laisse que son conjoint survivant et des collatéraux ordinaires (oncles et tantes, cousins et cousines), le conjoint recueille l'entière succession.

Please note

when

the deceased leaves a surviving spouse and ordinary heirs(uncles

and aunts, cousins), the spouse receives the entire estate

Transmission des autres biens

Lorsque le défunt ne laisse que des biens autres que ceux reçus de ses père et/ou mère à titre gratuit, ces biens reviennent au conjoint survivant, même en présence de collatéraux

privilégiés.

Transmission of other assets

When the deceased leaves only assets other than those received as gifts from his father or mother, these assets belong to the surviving spouse, even in the presence of

privileged heirs..

[quote user="Ysatis "]

What would happen if the OP or someone in a similar situation were to marry in the future?

[/quote]

Surviving spouse could inherit all provided there are no surviving parents, however the spouse CAN inherit all if a gift, will or appropriate marriage contract is in place.

[quote user="Anton Redman"]Does there come a point when you can actually leave the money to a non related person?[/quote]

Yes, this can be done in any will and in favour of any person  -  subject to certain entrenched rights to which Clair has alluded.

But, the rate of inheritance tax under this circumstance would be the iniquitous 60%  -  well worth taking the trouble to avoid.