How would you pronounce my name in French? Lynda

Another one to avoid for the channel hoppers is Yves. A French boy I know of went to live in England with his family and was ok at school until he corrected their pronounciation from Eves to Eve. Then he was teased mercilessly for having a girl's name.

Hi

Really enjoying reading through this thread, but does anyone have any ideas about Gail and Ian? When we introduced ourselves to our neighbours they were did seem to struggle a little saying our names, we didn't mention the spellings at the time, would that have confused them even more? 

Hoping for any replies.

Gail

[quote]What an egotist I am!!!! I hear all these beautiful sounding French names and I think that my name is going to sound awful pronounced in French. My husbands name is Richard and I know it comes out l...[/quote]

I just want to add a French point of view as I'm a

French woman...

For me Lynda and Linda are the same, and in Southern

France we pronounce it "Linda" and not "Leeenda" because

most people know that it's a Spanish name (it means

"beautiful").

Perhaps in Northern France you had another pronounciation

but in my opinion it's not a name which can be bad

pronounced...

Fanou (from the Pyrenees)

this certainly is a good topic.

My wife, Anne being french is called "Anne" - less emphasis on the "A" in french but otherwise much the same.

Our daughter is called Beth - the "th" causes untold problems for the french tongue. "Bet" is usually the closest that Normands can manage altho' a few Parisiens have nearly got the "th".

When I am refered to as Andy then it usally comes out as "Ondee". Andrew usually comes out as "On Drew" - I quite like them both - at least I don't get called "And" in france!

I have no problems with my name - Mary is Marie, and I've answered to that all my life! Brian, on the other hand, is a little more difficult...

Brian doesn't seem to exist in french. If you pronounce the word (as it's spelt) in a french fashion it ends up as "brilliant" in translation back to English, which pleases him no end but I haven't found any real alternative

We're another Leendaa and Reechard, but MOH is commonly referred to as Rick - Reech?

Our surname is about the most common you can get - probably pronounced Oones in France, but what will get confusing is explaining my surname was Oones before getting married to an Oones.

Our surname is about the most common you can get - probably pronounced Oones in France, but what will get confusing is explaining my surname was Oones before getting married to an Oones

Call me daft but I havent figured out what your family name is, I have tried several pronounciations and  come up with Unes, which does not sound a very common English name. Maybe I havent lived in the UK for a while

Deby (17 Charente Maritime)

[quote]I have no problems with my name - Mary is Marie, and I've answered to that all my life! Brian, on the other hand, is a little more difficult...Brian doesn't seem to exist in french. If you pronounce t...[/quote]

In French school I'm called bri-anne, with equal emphasis on both parts, works for me.

Brian doesn't seem to exist in french.

I have a Bryan in class at the moment, but he's the first I've ever met. It seems to be pronounced Bri- yann

Most french names are pronounced with the stress on the last syllable, which can change the sound  a lot.

When naming our kids , we had to be careful not to use names which caused too many difficulties for French people (I had wanted Ruth, but that's out)

[quote]Just deem yrselves lucky that no one here is called 'Gambit' (remember Steed's sidekick in the Avengers ?), that caused a few 'gloussements' (chortles/chuckles) in France at the time...[/quote]

For the benefit of English speakers not quite understanding the 'gloussements' caused by Gambit of "Chapeau Melon et Bottes de Cuir"

It is pronounced in France Gan-bet' (Gan sort of nasal sound as in en-suite) Gambette in French is a slang/coloquial word for nice legs.

But then maybe the French had the last laugh on that one as all of Steed's sidekicks were of shapely legs!!

Sorry for the double-entendre!

Don't you think blokes?...

Hey - all of you count your lucky stars... how would you pronounce my name: Ewa??? As it's Polish, the nearest English pronounciation is Ever (which still isn't perfect). What do you think I'll get in France? My OH is okay - Steven becomes Stefan I suppose, which is similar to other continental languages and he's used to by parents mis-pronouncing it.

Ewa

Devon & 27

Ewa is likely to be Eva (with a short 'e', so will sound like the English 'ever'). How is it pronounced in Polish?

Steven is more likely to be pronounced Steevenn rather than Stéphane, as Steven has now been adopted by the French - think Steven Spielberg.

Thanks Chicfille! In Polish Ewa is pronounced Evah (with the short 'e' to start as in the first e in ever). I have trouble in the UK, so presume the French will make it sound nicer than the English (Eewah is the usual!!!).