Danish oil?

Jonzjob

Hello Johzjob

Saw Danish oil in the Bricolage's near carcassonne, by the same name. Cant remenber which one as we went to so many, but think it was the one near the big roundabout by Geant. but we got some at the same place as we got the wirewool! let me know if you find it.[:)]

Ps one thing we couldnt find out there was wallpaper liner have you ever seen any?

My problem Chris is that by the time I get 1/2 way down a litre it has started to go lumpy. I don't use a great deal, but when I want to use it, as you know, there is no substitute... I'm also looking for some celulose sanding sealer??? Any ideas. I used to get that by the gallon. It lasted a while but it's wonderful stuf for giving a silk like finish to boxes and money boxes.

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/EMMONEYBOXES.jpg[/IMG]

It really makes a difference

If you will forgive me for a sem-hijack to the thread.

This afternoon I will be buying a length of unfinished Hetre worktop from Bricodepot to finish my fitted kitchen.

After I have done the right angle join (I refuse to use the ally strips that they still use here) and routed some drainage grooves for the undermounted sink I need to find some kind of durable and decorative finish. 

The durability is more important to me than looking like a showroom finish, I used danish oil on my workbench in the UK (made out of very heavy commercial veneered doors) which has certainly been durable but has not had to suffer hot pans and wet draining dishes.

Any suggestions?

No problems JR (by the way that's my first 2 initials too). Danish oil is food safe when it's dry, but I am not sure how it is if you were to put a hot pan on it. The best thing if you want that finish is to make sure that hot pans don't go anywhere near any natural wood finish. Plus you would possibly have to keep oiling it at least every 4 to 6 months if the wear is at all heavy. Water should not be a problem if it's not left too long. As far as the sink is concerned are you going to have the sink under the wooden worktop and rout the work top to form a draining board? I use Rustins Plastic Coat if I turn anything that has to contain liquids, but if you are going to do that and use it as a draining board then I would get onto the Rustins tech line via 020 8450 4666 and they are very helpful. Unfortunately they don't export to France, but if they do a product that will do what you want you may be able to get it via going back or conning someone to bring it over... Or even finding something to do the same here.

Chessfou, I will get onto Liberon to see if they can give me the difference betwen the 2. We will also look in another of the local sheds to see if they have it. Failing that I have teak oil, but the difference is the type of 'hard' wax in it. The teak oil never goes lumpy after opening, but the Danish oil does? If several coats of Danish are applied the surface can be bought to a gloss finish,  but not with the teak oil, it soaks in. I hve been trying to think of the 'hard' wax and I think it's canubra wax or something similar? My brain just went to kip!

Yes I intend to rout drainage grooves.

At the moment the glued up block pattern is quite visible, on other pieces of furniture made from glued up pine I have rubbed on Liberon wax and removed it with a brass brush, it gives a great antique look (especially if not cleaned or dusted) and hides all of the join lines but I'm not sure that this would be a good treatment for the worktop.

Perhaps I will repost this on the woodworking section, in the meantime I will experiment with oils and waxes etc on the reverse face.

Cheers for the gen Jc, but I've been a customer of theirs for years now. Just got the new catalog and I am waiting for a delivery from them this afternoon. They are very good if you need info on any job and the tools for it. I am always giving their name on here when people are looking for tools. They don't sell tat... For anyone that wants a good interesting tool + catalog, just go to the web site Jc gave and you can order one free. It's worth looking at if you are interested in tools of virtually any type and the explanations for them have a sense of humour too. They do books and videos as well. Advert over, 'onest Admin! I don't and have never worked for them, just a very satisfied customer...

We went to the old shop in Axminster years ago. It was an Aladinz cave! I was like a child in a sweet shop!

I have just spoken to the Axminster tech line and they send danish oil here, but the down side is the postage is £5 for up to a Kg and it goes up from there... A litre is a tenner as near as makes no difference. Knowing the price of things here it may still be worth it and I've probably spent more than the postage looking for it!?

As a matter of interest I have just had a reply from Liberon France. They gave me this link and said that it would do the job.

http://www.liberon.fr/index.php?p=183&art_id=192&args=Y29tcF9pZD0xNjYmYWN0aW9uPWZpY2hlUHJvZHVpdCZpZD0zMiZ8.

I don't know if it's exactly the same but I will have a look at it. They also told me where, in this area, it's stocked.. Very helpful...

I've used the Furniture Oil (same stuff from Liberon as in the link). Still god a load left as I really don't like the stuff. Used it once (for one coat only - then switched back to Teak Oil). Now I'm trying to use it up on odds and ends that are going outside or are hidden (i.e. just using the oil to protect the wood).

That said I've found massive variation sin Teak Oils in France. Some are really sticky, others really rally thin. the best I found was actually Diamond (or something like that) in L'eclrec and later Bricomarche - but then both stopped stocking it.

I actually purchased it because the tim said it contained Tung Oil (and I thus assumed it would be a decent percentage of Tung Oil). However, I've subsequently seen that other tins of the same stuff no longer have the Tung Oil listed on the tin

Anyway, the Liberon Huile meuble is available in most DIY places (certainly Leroy Merlin, Bricomarche, etc.) but if you spend 20 seconds in the store you will definitely find something better. From memory its a little more expensive than teak oil - but not worth it even if it was "premier prix". My local baker probably has something better !!

Ian

hi

ok have used danish oil for years untill I found this http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Liberon-Finishing-Oil-22547.htm it does everything danish does and more, if you are going to have it shipped out then buy this one.

the finish resist heat and water and looks like this.

http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/daveolive/?action=view&current=Pdr_10.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch15

dave

IKEA sell a wood treatment oil which is safe for use on food preparation areas and also offers a good degree off water resistance if applied regularly. If my memory serves me correctly, it is sold by the 0.5 litre and costs around £3.00.

An interesting safety point regarding the use of wood finishing oils is once you've finished the job, don't screw the application cloth(s) up into a ball and through them in a corner - they can self combust, and I've seen it happen!

[quote user="J.R."]

If you will forgive me for a sem-hijack to the thread.

This afternoon I will be buying a length of unfinished Hetre worktop from Bricodepot to finish my fitted kitchen.

After I have done the right angle join (I refuse to use the ally strips that they still use here) and routed some drainage grooves for the undermounted sink I need to find some kind of durable and decorative finish. 

The durability is more important to me than looking like a showroom finish, I used danish oil on my workbench in the UK (made out of very heavy commercial veneered doors) which has certainly been durable but has not had to suffer hot pans and wet draining dishes.

Any suggestions?

[/quote]

I had natural sycamore worktop (a complete slice from a tree, complete with wavy edge at the front) in my kitchen in the UK which OH treated with Teak Oil several times before use. There were no problems with either hot pans, roasting tins or wet dishes. I even rolled out pastry on it to no ill effect. I wish I could have brought it with me, I loved it so much!