pronounciation

GUEPE

hi i know this is a pretty mundane question can anybody enlighten me on the correct pronounciation of the place name NANTES .i have heard "nantays,nont,nants,nonts .the main reason im asking is because me and it seems o load of other people allways ,but allways manage to get lost in nantes.so i think in defference to the french lady at the TOTAL GARAGE  who puts me right ,i think i must get the place name correct .thanks guepe

[quote user="GUEPE"]hi i know this is a pretty mundane question can anybody enlighten me on the correct pronounciation of the place name NANTES .i have heard "nantays,nont,nants,nonts .the main reason im asking is because me and it seems o load of other people allways ,but allways manage to get lost in nantes.so i think in defference to the french lady at the TOTAL GARAGE  who puts me right ,i think i must get the place name correct .thanks guepe[/quote]

I am happy to pronounce it;

"Naungt"

Regards,

Leo

[quote user="Suze"][quote user="Clair"]just like you pronounce aunt with an N in front[/quote]Would that be a northern or southern prononciation of 'aunt' [;-)] [8-)][/quote]

I've never set foot oop norf and anyone what say it is a bloody lier!!![:P][;-)]

PS: I should add that my OH is Brummie...

>>> ..... can anybody enlighten me on the correct pronounciation of the place name NANTES ....guepe<<<

Nantes as English people would pronounce Nant as in Ty Nant that 'posh' welsh blue bottled eau minerale ...

Nantey for Nantais = Men living or born and bread in Nantes or to qualify something of masculine gender from that town/region

Nanteyz for Nantaise = the feminin version of the above...

Oo-er, I think I would have said "NANT" for the water Miss YB!

Overall I agree with those who suggest NONT for the pronounciation of the city.  Of course as you say, NONTAY is a (male) person from Nantes, and NONTAYZ is a female inhabitant.

Angela (arriving at NONT-ATLONTEEK on Thursday!)  [:)]

If you think that's a brugger try

Villemoustausou.

It's the village we moved to when we first arrived. I said that I couldn't live there, because I couldn't tell the taxi driver where I lived when I had been out for a half of shandy (well something like that). I literally couldn't say it. I can smell it now?

Hi Angela, not bad, but there's also a Norf/Sarf divide here too. the Eeeez are not quelled as they are in the Norf and there is a certain flourish to the words. A bit like Cornish is to English (I know that I won't be got at by any Jenners for that similé).

You would love it Angela. A lovely village and only about 4 miles from the wonderful old Cité of Carcassonne...

Any body else? Lets face it there are some wonderful place names in our adopted country. Sorry I don't mean to exclude folks who just holiday here, but it really is lovely to drive around and try to guess how the places are pronounced.

There is a village near where i used to live called Ulley, a lovely Cotswold village. It was pronounced "Eeuley" but anyone who went ther would call it Ulle, the Ull as in cull. Well it sounded better with the sound on! Tell Chris Head that there is a wonderful brewery there too, only a couple of hundred years old!! Uley Brewery, yum, yum!!

I'm not sure if it is a weekend or a wind break here at the moment. It ain't arf blowing out side and we are getting it litely compaired to the Norf...

Yes that's as near as printing will allow.

There are some wonderful names though aren't there. That one has the longest road sign around here though! (for crying out loud leave Whales out of this)

Another one near here is Homps. Dead easy, as long as you don't forget that the French NEVER pronounce 'H' and always drop the 's' at the end. smashing restaraunt there too and not too far from here, Friday maybe!!! Right by the Canal du Midi, lovely place...

Any good names near you Angela, or anyone else for that matter?

The Vendée seems to be sadly conventional in most of its pronounciation, JJ, and fairly devoid of bizarre names unless you count "Moquesouris" and "Le Loup Pendu".

I have been researching a lot in the Nord/Pas-de-Calais the last couple of years though, and have come across some corkers in Flanders!
Boeschèpe, Hondschoote and Godewaersvelde, plus Bissezeele, Wulverdinghe, Craywick and Socx.  (I only know how to pronounce the first two!)

Angela

[quote user="Jonzjob"].........Tell Chris Head that there is a wonderful brewery there too, only a couple of hundred years old!! Uley Brewery, yum, yum!![/quote]

I don't know whether Chris has discovered it yet, but he's got a small brewery not far from where he lives. And as a wine swilling lass that beer ain't 1/2bad! if I say so myself.... just a tad sweet on his blonde variety. His stout waoh!! (only made on demand) don't 1/2put hair on your chest so I am avoiding from now... average alcohol content of the beers that chap brews : 8 to 9 degrees...

It is in a small village called Les Folles!! Yup it is !!  in Haute Vienne/Creuse border region. The master brewer is French but all his equipment has come from UK! not very easy to find as he lives in a tiny hamlet at some dead end of country lane...

Brough back quite some cargo for OH's Xmas when I was last over in France. He moaned that I didn't bring back ANY wine!! which in his case is strawberries to pigs, so being a good lass I bring him back beer which I know he much prefers and he ain't happy! What's wrong with you blokes!![:'(]

Chris you have got to explore with your lads, send Sarah on a shopping spree somewhere and get down to that little brewery...

What's that got to do with pro-non-C I A-shun....[8-)]

[quote user="Jonzjob"] ......There are some wonderful names though aren't there. That one has the longest road sign around here though! (for crying out loud leave Whales out of this) .... [/quote]

Wot ?! Dya mean : Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch .... That the one Jonzy ? [:-))] 

I can even write the phonetic pro-non-C I A-shun for you ..... and when you'll have one too many at the Xmas party that Twinks and the girls are organising on the forum soon you could make it your party trick!!  [;-)][:D]

[quote user="Jonzjob"] ......There are some wonderful names though aren't there. That one has the longest road sign around here though! (for crying out loud leave Whales out of this) .... [/quote]

Wot ?! Dya mean : Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch .... That the one Jonzy ? [:-))] 

[;-)][:D]

i could