hairdresser speak

seb47

Has anyone found a decent website for french hairdresser vocabulary? I did a google search and came up with some sites giving very simple words/phrases, but I'd like to be able to hold a decent conversation about condition of hair, texture, style etc. I tried asking Dilloys if I could take away one of their brochures but they wouldn't let me!

Thanks, Sue.

[:D] If I tried 'pas trop court', I would end up nearly bald, that is just tooooooo vague for any hairdresser I know.

It's all a bit like those every day terms that we think should have a certain logic, but don't,  like 'une minute' which has a rough translation to some un-quantifiable time in the future, as opposed to 'un instant' which is usually around five minutes or so. Or come to dinner at 7.30 and no one turns up until getting on for 8. All part of yet another secret language.

I told my hairdresser pas trop court and she hardly cut anything off.  This time I said plus court and she still underdid it so I told her it looked trop carre et pas doux (or douce??) and she fined it down with a razor.  When she went to blow-dry it she asked 'au naturale ou I brush you', she grinned and said j'ai apprende le anglais!!  Two words is a start, bless...

• 2 weeks later...

My wife made an appointment at a hairdressers in Vivonne (15k away) last week. When I asked her why she was not going to our local salon, just 3k away she said.....................

"She is only capable of one style and I'm fed up with getting 'the village cut'"................[:)]

In the UK I've always had subtle highlights.  I was told by a friend that I needed to ask for a 'meche'.  Hadn't realised that they don't do subtle here and came out looking rather like a badger with broad stripes of brown and blond.  Suppose I ought to be thankful that I didn't get the 'village cut' which here also looks orange and fluffy.

Pat

Not France I know but when my husband had to go to Milan on business recently (he speaks no Spanish and a little French) he had some time to waste so decided to get a haircut. He told the woman "just a little" in French which she seemed to understand. By the time he realised she was using a shaver and it was too late, she had thought he meant to leave just a little[:D].  He couldn't stop her at this stage because there was already a big stripe on his head.

He had a late flight in that night and he called to warn me because he thought I would worry if he woke me and I thought a skinhead had broken in the house.[:-))]. Poor thing had to go around like that for a few months.