free French lessons for immigrants?

andymturner

[quote user="andymturner"]Am I correct in thinking that the French government offers free basic French lessons for any foreigners who come to live in France? If so,can anyone tell me where to find out more info please?[/quote]

As mentioned by Blanche Neige above, there are free language lessons available for registered unemployed foreigners.

Your local ASSEDIC will decide if you qualify and the lessons themselves are also available by non-unemployed or retired people but they have to pay.

You need to contact your regional GRETA centre (use the French Yellow Pages) and make enquiries, as not all of them offer language lessons.

To second the fact, often you will only find the free french lessons in big towns / cities, probably with a high immigrant population.  I know they no longer offer them in Clermont L'Herault, as the place that did offer them closed due to lack of funding.  ASSEDIC did try to help out, but there is simply nothing available in our local area.  There is however other groups that you can pay for, but these, although they are teaching French, seem to be very slow moving and more of a place to meet of English people than learn French.  I think if you can afford it, decent private lesson as the way to go.

For children however, if you ask your school doctor for a referral to the local Orphoniste, they may be able to help, since my son (and me to a degree) spend 2  1/2 hour sessions a week with her and it is one to one French lessons which is paid under your health cover (beware you will need top up insurance to make it work, since one visit is 30 euros)

Certainly where we are, near Carcassonne, the English are not allowed free French lessons any longer.

They only allow people from the new member states such as Poland to receive the free lessons, whether you're on the RMI or not.

Amazing, isn't it?

It is called linguistic discrimination the way you describe it and is illegal even in France. Like refusing to teach a Welsh speaker English when he goes to work in England. On the other hand, giving priority to those seeking work seems to make sense.

I don't understand why people don't get together, find a teacher of French and have their own classes. There used to be loads round here I'm told.

A couple of things I have found with SOME British expats re. learning French:

1) They often can't see why they should have to PAY to learn the language

2) They certainly don't want to have to do work for it. Turning up at a French class and sitting for a couple of hours with others, should be enough to absorb the language by a process of osmosis.

I have met quite a few expats who go through the motions of appearing to want to learn French for a year or two, and then giving up. Personally, I would find it odd to live somewhere and not try to learn the language, wherever that might be.

I have to agree with 5E's comments, as I too have met SOME British expats who have been attending the same GRETA course for the 2nd or even 3rd year.

Their sole reason for attending seems to be to "get together and meet with other British people" rather than to try to learn French.

On Mr Clair's course in Figeac, the nationalities varied from Russian to South African, with a Japanese  and Ukrainian student attending too.

The only people who did not pay were registered unemployed and our retired English friend had to pay about €8 an hour.

My wife went to our local GRETA and certainly had to pay ( about 6 euros an hour it worked out). Unfortunately, there was hardly any conversation; there were a tremendous number of comings and goings which resulted in the teacher having to go over work repeatedly. Further, her teaching method, which I've been told is typically French, involved doling out reams of written exercises to be completed. My wife certainly got the impression that many of those in attendance were required as part of a benefit package.  

[quote user="plod"] My wife certainly got the impression that many of those in attendance were required as part of a benefit package.  [/quote]

As far as I am aware, attending French language classes for unemployed non-French people, is seen as part of "actively looking for work", which is a basic requirement for staying on the ASSEDIC unemployed register. By improving their language skills, they better their chances of finding a job (that's the theory anyway!)

However, that does not mean they get any (or less) benefit, as unemployment benefit is paid according to the contributions paid through previous employement:

no contributions equals no unemployement benefit.

An English friend did not have to pay for his lessons as he was registered as unemployed, but his wife did as she was not.

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

"Certainly where we are, near Carcassonne, the English are not allowed free French lessons any longer" 

........... and how do you know this exactly?

Priority for state aided French lessons has always been given to workers with the aim of making it easier for them to find work and understand the French systems.  If all the places are now being given to people seeking work whether they come from Poland or Portugal as opposed to retired or working Britons,  then what is wrong with that?

[/quote]

Well, Ronald old bean, I know this "exactly" because I was told this "exactly" whilst being unemployed in France. To continue recieving my luxurious RMI allowance I was informed that I would need to show willing, this despite the fact that unemployment around here is enormously high even among qualified French nationals (would you like me to qualify that fact as well?).

This is where my social worker informed me that I (as a jobseeker) could receive free French lessons and should take the offer up: show willing.

I had, however, already enquired about this and was told - officially - that the rules had changed. It is, as someone pointed out, discrimination and shouldn't be allowed under EU law: but when has that ever stopped the French?

Personally, it's not really an issue for me right now: just thought I'd pass on my past experience. Quite why you assumed I was a working or retired Brit, I have no idea.

ps. ALL CAPS is the text equivalent of shouting, Ron.

Our local town has only a small population but an Anglo/French guy has set up an office right in the centre offering courses in French and English and is, according to him, doing rather well. He has quite a few Brit clients and has managed to set up small groups which take a bit of time to begin to run smoothly. He is also surprised by the number of adult French speakers who have come out of the woodwork to start learning English.

Ron, I once got ticked off  (I don't think it was this forum) for using capitals or large print in messages. To be fair I had only just started then and didn't know better. But I realised something that might help. Only lance corporals need to shout, officers don't. Ron, we should like to welcome you to the officer class. So come on old chap, Sandhurst eh?

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

Don't know why you feel the need for sarcasm, you have answered the question I asked, exactly how do you know this?  As in a previous post you said that you were no longer on RMI, and so now have a job, your information may not be current and just Daily Mail type rumour.

Your comment "ps. ALL CAPS is the text equivalent of shouting, Ron." puzzles me, if you look at my piece there are only capital letters where there should be.........unlike yours.[:P]

[/quote]

Ron, I mentioned in my original post that the rules applied whether you were on the RMI or not.

You jumped on my post to get your point accross (which, incidentaly, I agree with) in a reactionary manner typical of a Daily Mail 'hang em high' article. My statement was based on fact, recent fact, and I included the caveat "as far as I know". Hardly sensationalist rumour, is it?

I await your apology. [;-)]

Oh and you are of course quite right on the 'all caps' front; I was confusing your (selective) use of a larger font size, is that for the benifit of the partially blind? Error? Raised voice? Do tell.

"Ron, nobody objects to your use of Verdana but it is the selective use which is the problem".

With whom exactly?  You. Tag ?   Well nobody else is complaining and you don't count in my book.  Perhaps you can explain to the decent folk who try to post assistance rather than annoying stupidities as you do, why you refer to them as Dorks on Possum World?

So you are the one coming as guest.

Yes Ron, you have just proved the point with your inappropriate use of large print again. I think I am not the only one who has asked you not to do this. A mod some time ago but I could be wrong.

My problem with your posts is not so much information content but attitude (impatience, triumphalism and a few other characteristics I could name).

And Ron, there are many ' decent folk' as you call them who either cant be bothered to read the information that is already there in the threads or who are posting with mischief in mind. Which I was asked not to do and don't. Those are dorks.

Take the parrots, I had a laugh with the bloke but actually went to my vet and got the full info (signed and sealed from Paris) as far as I could and sent it to him. And confirmed my instinct brought about by long experience in the Francophone world that it might not be plain sailing. Which I was also able to pass on. When did you  last do such please? I'm sure you have.

And yes I do get irritated by the baked beans brigade a bit and largely try to leave them alone.

How about your treatment of poster Maureen a little while ago? Hardly up to scratch.

I think it would be better if information was given in consistent sized font and preferably without judgementalism don't you Ron?

(Verdana 4)

Hmm I think I missed your appointment as a moderator on here, but as you are following me around so much and wait my every post,  to correct you, Quillan asked me to change the size of the font I was using as I had a couple of times used font size 4 to type a post and forgot to to revert back to a 3,  there was no mention of the size or font in the context of emphasis being of any concern to a mod,  Quillan will confirm this.

So, as I did not use CAPITALS in the post to Bones anyway and the whole of the post was in font 3,  just what is your point.  Can I suggest if the size, style or font of my posts bothers you,  do not read them, I won't be reading or responding to any of your posts in future.

[quote user="J.R."]

Well I am now partially blind and struggle to read a lot of postings, Ron's doesnt appear to be any larger than the rest.

This size is better for me!

[/quote]

JR I understand your problems with font size. If I have read it correctly you can adjust the size that appears on your screen by going to the advice forum at the top of the opening page and following the instructions on one of the threads. If you have a problem with this then I'm sure one of the mods can help.

(I will put this in Verdana 4 so you can read it and then revert to 3 consistently.)