sleepy ....dormir or sommeil

Pads

why is sleepy not used in the dormir form ?

Instead I have...........

Jean a sommeil  =  Jean is sleepy

so is ?

my daughter is sleepy = ma fille est sommeil (or) somnolente ?

Also ..........[:$]

my friends are hot = mes amis ont (or sont) chaud ?

Many thanks [:)]

Look at that again.  If when you say Jean is sleepy, you use "avoir" Jean a sommeil, then when you say your daughter is sleepy, you'd say....?

In french you "have sleepiness" if you like, just as you "have hunger"  "j'ai faim" - it's the same in German too "Ich haber hunger"

Edit : Just saw the second bit.  Yes, likewise you "have heat" or "have cold(ness!).

another quicky.....[:)]

If I want to say ......... It is beautiful  ( il est belle )

In reply to some one saying, How is you bed room? 

do I use belle because La chambre is fem  or beau because it is... Il

as I write this it sounds really dumb, ...........[:(] but Im not using the word room in my sentance so do I use the fem or masc version of beautiful...........

I think ....... il est belle ...... is right???? yes /no?

This is what happens when you have a holiday and dont do you home work after your class but the day before you go back to class , it all gets forgotten[:(]    

If the noun is feminine then so is the pronoun, and the adjective agrees with it.  "Elle est belle."  "Votre chambre est belle" "Elle est belle, ta chambre."

Your mistake is in your first sentence - it is beautiful can be "elle est belle" or "il est beau" depending on whether the it is masculine or feminine.  (Not il est belle!)

And then of course, if the noun it is in front of begins with a vowel, and is masucline, beau becomes bel because otherwise it is hard to say:

"Un bel ami" for instance. 

And on that subject, in your previous post, it should of course have been mes amies as both Clair and I are women!

Im banging my self on the head now , cos I knew all of that, I think I have been working on this to much today , time to stop and have a cuppa and some food I think .[blink]

But thanks for refreshing it all for me[:)] Merci pour votre gentillesse [:)] 

[quote user="Russethouse"]

my friends are hot

I'd be careful where you say that ![:D]

[/quote]

Yes you are so right RH.  In French class we had a quiz where we were given a card with an item of kitchen equipment pictured on it.  The rest of the class had to formulate and ask questions to find out what it was and what it was used for.  I had on my card "a spoon". One lady asked if you could eat with it, I told her she was very warm "vous êtes très chaud".  The treacher asked me what I had said then laughed said "Ron, thank God you did not say "tu es très chaud", because in French, that does not mean you are very warm[:D]

The first time I came to France there was a heatwave and I kept telling every single peson that I met that I was very hot.  It's all I could say in French and I was very proud of myself. 

"Bonjour, je suis trés chaude"  Nobody told me why I was getting so much male attention until the end of my holiday!

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="TWINKLE"]I kept telling every single person that I met that I was very hot "Bonjour, je suis trés chaude"  Nobody told me why I was getting so much male attention until the end of my holiday![/quote]
and yet you continue to seek attention... [Www] http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1146784/ShowPost.aspx
[/quote]

I forgot to say that I'm a nice, proper attention seeking person[:)]

It wakes you up from your sleep my old love though, doesnt it? (you dont expect me to read all that guff do you?)

Try this one. Context, feeling cold after a day outside in winter and I quote a French speaker "J'ai besoin de quelque chose de chaud dans mon corps" . Ron, even you can work it out, surely.

I taught language for 35 years so know some of the subtleties I hope.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Pads, I am dead impressed.  You have made tremendous headway.  Even I, knowing the little that I do, can see that.

Keep going, the girl done good!

[/quote]

Thanks sweet 17 , I can see it just a little too, I ordered 10 bags of gravel all by my self while in france  (in french) and they gave me 10 bags of gravel..........[:D] I was more impressed at the time of them understanding me , to realise I had done it ..........[blink]