Greeting a Notaire

Deimos

[quote user="Deimos"]When greeting a Notaire should one use Monsieur <surname>

Ian[/quote]

My notaire is a woman, I would never use Monsieur when greeting her [;-)]

Seriously, I agree with Coops, we should use Maître <surname> .

I met my (now) notaire socially so am on first name, tutoying and kissing terms.

It has got me wondering about the Maire though, not that I kiss him you understand but I have always called him "Monsieur le Maire" should I have been using Maître? If so in what way Maître le Maire or Maître followed by surname?

Plenty of the English round here seem to think that 'moosh' is the correct form of address. 'Mate' is another common one, and they often get away with that at the notaire's because it sounds a bit like 'maître'. 'Monsewer' and 'Oy you, froggy' are also used occasionally, but not recommended.

And I thought that everybody knew that all maires are called Marie.

Ignoring Will (sorry Will you are clearly in a weird state of mind this morning![blink])

The notaire I used for my last sale was young and much less stuffy than those I have previously encountered, no one called him Maitre although is it the correct term of address I believe. 

[quote user="Will"]

Plenty of the English round here seem to think that 'moosh' is the correct form of address. 'Mate' is another common one, and they often get away with that at the notaire's because it sounds a bit like 'maître'. 'Monsewer' and 'Oy you, froggy' are also used occasionally, but not recommended.

And I thought that everybody knew that all maires are called Marie.

[/quote]

Nice one Will,

LOL[:)]

[quote user="J.R."]Next time I need a notaire should I ask my (female) notaire friend if she is willing to be my maitresse?[6][/quote]

Mind you she probably thought that when we first met and I said that I would lke to introduce myself to her[:D]

Politesse tip:

Use presenter rather than introduire if you want to avoid slapped cheeks from the women and  and black eyes from the men[6]

Editted:

In certain circumstances when you both know what the score is you could use "introduire", I prefer the more subtle and casual seduction methods myself.