Question of the day (clever pun)

allanb

Years ago when I used to holiday in france, and didn' really know much of the language and thought 'un café' or 'une biere' was enough, on the route, when I stopped at a boulangerie or a bar (which was often) the bar, not the boulangerie, I often used to wonder how they knew I was on a 'journey' when then said 'bonne journee'.[B]

[quote user="allanb"]Why do the French say "bon jour" when they meet you but "bonne journée" when they leave?

Can it be a gender thing?
[/quote]

But they do that all the time.  They say "bon soir" when they see you in the evening and "bonne soirée" when they leave.  I guess it's just to keep you on your toes.[:D]

Think about it (this time) with your English head on, you have 2 situations:

1st  meeting someone for the first time or first time that day

2nd parting from that same person

You have the choice between "good day/afternoon/evening"

and "have a good day/afternoon/evening"

Which would you use?

Its not at all a question of keeping someone on their toes, that is when you say "bonsoir" to someone and they reply "bonjour" yet the next time at the same hour when you say "bonjour" they say "bonsoir"!

Never ever say bonjour a second time to someone when meeting them later in the day, very offensive, use salut instead.

[quote user="Christine Animal"][quote user="Just Katie"][quote user="J.R."]

Never ever say bonjour a second time to someone when meeting them later in the day, very offensive, use salut instead.

[/quote]

That's one to remember

[/quote]

Or rebonjour.  Salut is very familiar, only to pals, not to someone you hardly know for example.

[/quote]

It is worrying that I could get myself into a lot of innocent trouble in France [8-)]

Last night, I was in a bar.  Oh yes, I've recovered from my pneumonia to start getting back out again...  I was not alone - I had my husband with me. [;-)]

As we arrived, I did the usual 'Bonsoir, messieurs, mesdames' (said very quickly like they do, so it comes out as Bnsoirmsieursmdames).  Fine.  Duly acknowledged.  Then when we left, I said: 'Bonne nuit, messieurs, mesdames' and they looked at me in a peculiar way. 

Are you not supposed to say Bonne nuit (or bon nuit, if it is a masculine noun)?

Bon jour is like saying hello, except it adds the idea of 'bon' which is nice

The second time you should say 'rébonjour' to show that you remember that you have already met them and that it registered. If you say 'Bon jour' again they will think you didn't notice the first time.

'Salut ' is young and familiar a bit like 'Hi'

'Bonne journée' is because 'journée' refers to a period of time: so you are really wishing them well for the rest of the day, or evening in the case of Bonne soirée.

If it's really late you might also get 'bonne fin de soirée' which I am sure you can work out!

'

[quote user="Ysatis "]

I think 'bonjour' is hello/ good day and 'bonne journée' is saying: have a good day, as in all day, for the rest of the day.

[/quote]

Yes !!

And if you meet someone for the second time , just don't say anything, or nod your head!

as regards " bonne nuit "  , yes, you say so to someone whos going to bed.. 

I'd  say " bonne fin de soirée " if I left a place late in the evening..  

katie wrote

It is worrying that I could get myself into a lot of innocent trouble in France [8-)]

'Join the club....................but it's great fun finding out[blink]

Frenche, I've found that 'salut' is for friends, but if you meets someone again during the day it seems that, "ah déja" seems to be OK as you move to shake hands again/ or 'bisous'[kiss]