Vent d'Autan

Patf

Can someone tell me what this is? We're supposed to be getting it tomorrow. I know vent is wind, but can't find Autan in our dictionary. Wikipedia describes it in french and it sounds unpleasant, but still no clue as to what Autan is.

[quote user="Patf"]Can someone tell me what this is? We're supposed to be getting it tomorrow. I know vent is wind, but can't find Autan in our dictionary. Wikipedia describes it in french and it sounds unpleasant, but still no clue as to what Autan is.[/quote]

I imagine it is from the Pays d'Autan, which is to the East of you, and so seen as the source of the wind...

See 'localisation' on here..

http://www.paysdautan.fr/

Good site that Jacqui!

I was working on the name of the region 'Autan'

There seem to be other more local names too:

the usual name for the cold wind from the mountains here is 'the vent du nord' even though it is always called the tramontane on various sites, and the 'marin' is known as the 'marinasse'...

Today I heard from the hairdresser (who is married to a farmer and the source of much interesting info. about France) that this wind didn't reach as far as the Gers until about 40 years ago. It more or less ended at Toulouse. Then started deforestation, in order to create more agricultural land. Coincided with the subsidies starting from the EU. This is an interesting topic but perhaps not suitable for the Language forum.