List of verbs

DerekJ

I came across this website with a list of 681 verbs.  It is on two pages.

One in alphabetic order in french, the other in alphabetic order in english. It seems quite useful to me, don't know what you think?

It's also colour coded as follows:

Orange Highlights: 3 core verbs 'to be', 'to have', 'to do'

Green Highlights: être verbs (involving movement)

Blue Highlights: modal verbs devoir, pouvoir, vouloir

Yellow Highlights: most commonly used verbs

It seems quite useful to me, don't know what you think?

[quote user="Tandem_Pilot"]HOW  MANY!!!!!! [:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(]

[/quote]

Not nearly enough eh?  I haven't actually counted them[:D]

[quote user="cassis"]Well, it's a start. [:P]

[/quote]

And I know all of them........ not![;-)]

Anyway, I printed them off and it seems quite useful just to dip into for a few minutes. Sometimes you need a dictionary to understand the context though.

[quote user="DerekJ"]

Anyway, I printed them off and it seems quite useful just to dip into for a few minutes. Sometimes you need a dictionary to understand the context though.

[/quote]

Like détenir = to hold and tenir = to hold. [;-)]

Shows you how important hair dyeing is to the French when reteindre = to dye again makes it into the top 681! [:D]

[quote user="cassis"]

Like détenir = to hold and tenir = to hold. [;-)]

Shows you how important hair dyeing is to the French when reteindre = to dye again makes it into the top 681! [:D]

[/quote]

Yes, some of the differences are quite subtle and can be hard to remember.

Reteindre..... LOL ... I don't think I'll be spending much time trying to remember that one, although now you've pointed it out it will probably stick with me at the expense of a verb I really need to know.[:'(]

Yes it would be usefull because of its compact size, my bescherelle has 12000 verbs, is the tops for conjugation but without translations doesnt help you to find the verb that you want.

Maybe I will get my printer working again!

Re the "re" verbs I disputed last night with my French girlfriend when she corrected me that I should have used "recharger" when I had said  "c'est pour charger les piles".

To explain:  I had given her one of my old cordless drills and she wanted to know why, if it was cordless,  was I concerned if she still had my France/UK plug adaptor.

Trying to be clever (bad idea!) I told her that as the batteries were flat when it was purchased it was a battery charger, not recharger; she said in which case she could not use it to "recharge" them [:P]

Why not save the pdf file on your computer - handy if the site should disappear! [:)]

Some crucial common verbs that are missing but which you hear literally every day, on the street and on the telly:

foutre (e.g. "va te faire ...." or "tu te fous de moi ou quoi" or "c'est foutu")

baiser

taper

I'll leave it those who are interested to find the common usage and meanings if anyone doesn't know already.

Hmm, yes, well... the first two should be used with caution by anyone not well versed in their usage, as they can carry un unexpected and perhaps offensive meaning, depending on the phrase they are inserted into. 

[quote user="cassis"]Why not save the pdf file on your computer - handy if the site should disappear! [:)]

Some crucial common verbs that are missing but which you hear literally every day, on the street and on the telly:

foutre (e.g. "va te faire ...." or "tu te fous de moi ou quoi" or "c'est foutu")

baiser

taper

I'll leave it those who are interested to find the common usage and meanings if anyone doesn't know already.

[/quote]

Spicy sausage...