Claude

allanb

• 2 weeks later...
It appears Claude and many others can be either sex, unless you are called Leslie like me. I have so many problems with it, even if I make it clear in correspondence, forms etc. that I am a male, it makes no difference, they still assume I am female. I have even been asked in shops if that really is my name? and at airport car hire desks. Have I borrowed my wife's driving licence? I am considering calling myself Fred.

Poor Les, but I thought the female version is spelt Lesley?

Nevermind, you could have been called Hilary as in Hilary Benn or Beverley as in Beverley Nicholls (remember him?) or even Evelyn as in Evelyn Waugh.

You might not be "safe" as Fred because you could conceivably be Frederica, couldn't you?[:D]

Of course, Clair, how could one forget the delightful Leslie Caron?

I'm glad to be reminded of Gigi because I am choosing some works of Colette's to be read at our Club de Lecture.

But, I can't help giggling when thinking of Maurice Chevalier singing, "Thank Heaven for Little Girls".........everybody thought it was a lovely song and nobody thought Chevalier might be a paedophile!

What an innocent age I grew up in............

I was so surprised when I met my first Dominique who was a boy!

Great hilarity always during French exchanges as Nicolas (s not pronounced)  in France is a boy.

Reminds me too of the day we visited Warwick Castle with my dad - couldn't see him, so I called 'papa, papa!' and some voices replied 'Nicole, Nicole'.