ça consiste en quoi?

Celine

I always like my GCSE candidates to impress with their extensive French vocabulary, but it is becoming increasingly difficult to find the correct translation. Today asking them what they are doing this weekend I heard ''je vais visiter le nail bar," and wondered what a French person might make of this. Images of sipping a glass of wine or downing a pastis while having one's nails painted sprang to mind. Anyone know a better translation?

[quote]I heard ''je vais visiter le nail bar," and wondered what a French person might make of this[/quote]Je vais me faire faire une manucure  (meaning someone will do it for me)

Je vais me faire une manucure (meaning I'll do it myself)

I cringe when I hear or read this type of franglais. It's all about being seen as trendy and with it, whatever it is.

"Cocooning" is another term which irritates me.

I have written several times to La Dépêche, as they keep on referring to "low coast" airlines.

Yes, they do grate a bit, but before we get too sniffy about the French, our own language isn't entirely 'innocent':

• petits pois
  • tout de suite
  • en suite (I don't think that I've ever heard that used in France, but I'll stand corrected)
  • entree (as used by Americans for a main course!)
  • mange tout (as used by Del-boy)

[quote user="Celine"]How funny, Clair, I read your list last night, then a Year 10 today came out with, "Je pense que mon look c'est le top." I had to let it go as being current French.[/quote]

I feel old...

[IMG]http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Sad/sad-021.gif[/IMG]