Pronoun-sea-ay-shun

chessfou2

I have just watched the fascinating Richard Hammond programme (BBC2) about our (more-or-less) local big bridge at Millau.

I recall that (years ago) the BBC used to have a pronunciation unit to provide guidance (very strong guidance) on proper nouns, especially foreign place names.

I was somewhat disheartened when the programme was introduced as being about the MEAL-OW bridge and still more so when that pronunciation was used throughout the (very good) programme itself.

Regrettably, ME-YO was beyond them. [same in the language of the place itself - Occitan - Milhau = ME-YO].

However, I'm sure you can provide an even worse example ... if you try ... please ...

I once complained to the (extremely affable, I might add) presenter of Radio Le Mans (John Hindhaugh) - which broadcasts during the race and provides the English commentary for TV - about the fact that they insist on pronouncing both Le Mans and La Sarthe in the English fashion (the latter just as an estuary person would say "South" in English).  He told me that the producers have endless arguments as to how to pronounce things but in the end just go with the thing that the Brit audience will understand.  Makes my teeth itch just to listen to it!

I've been glued to French TV for the Roland Garros (well done, Nadal!!!!!!!!) and so many words sounded soooooo strange.

A break sounds like that disgusting instant porridge that use to be advertised in the 70s (Ready Brek).  Come to think of it, they call an estate car a "brek" also.

Then, there was le passeeng, Ongdymeray and I can't begin to imitate Wimbledon on here.  It's really good fun trying to understand this strange pronunciation.

BTW, when it's say 15 all or 30 all, they say something like quinzun or  trentun.  Is it quinze un?  But that doesn't make sense to me.  Partout's fine, of course, or égalité when it's deuce but I can't make out the scores so it's just as well that my nose was only a couple of feet away from the screen at any one time![:D]

Coops, how I wish I'd asked you a fortnight ago!  Nevermind, will keep it for next year.  Actually, most of it was guessable; just couldn't make out the quinze a.

And they do mostly say le tie break (pronouncing break in that peculiar way they have!) rather than un jeu décisif.

They do talk about la manche instead of set sometimes but often it's just set. 

So, that's all fine then except, Coops, please do NOT attempt to ask me the vocab for the le Mans vingt quatre heures, will you? 

I saw it too but thought it a bit simplistic. Also I still don't understand why 2 bits of unbendy concrete bend more than 1 bit of unbendy concrete, must be more to it than that and no real link to the wood experiment.

I too was surprised at the pronounciation, thinking it was ME-YO so I assumed I was wrong but no!

Full marks to the Hamster for climbing down the ladder to the tiny inspection platform, not sure I could have done that.

Oh Dear! A re-run of  '98; then it was Paraguay that irked me. Now they have got Uruguay in the same group, allowing another week of mispronunciation.

With luck the Uruguayos will beat them; followed by Mejico who easily beat the Italianos.