VERY DANGEROUS, POSSIBLY LETHAL PRODUCT

BobDee

I purchased an electric blanket from a very large french company selling on Ebay just about one year ago. The day before yesterday, the blanket caused a small fire in the bed that burnt a hole in the mattress and similar holes in the mattres cover, duvet, duvet cover and singed a pillow case. I was alerted to the event by the smell of burning that became evident some minutes after my wife had switched on the blanket prior to our planned retirement some 30 minutes later. Obviously, I immediately disconnected the blanket and made sure the damage was not ongoing. I took a number of photographs and yesterday sent off a suitable email to the supplier. We also went to the insurance company that afternoon to see if we could get perhaps some reparation for the damage, again giving them a copy of our communication with the company. We were told a fire expert would be in touch.

As of this morning , no response from the supplying company concerned has been received.

My question is, is there a central body in France that needs to be alerted to this sort of thing? Clearly the blanket could have caused a very very serious fire and even a death had the bed been occupied at the time. The blanket carried all the usual CE and international approval marks.

The manufacturers name is WELLCARE, but I can see no country of manufacture marked on the item itself or on the user instruction sheet. One suspects a far eastern origin.

No doubt the supplying company has to consider its response carefully, but in the mean time, there could be many thousand of these blankets out there just waiting to catch fire.

Advice anyone?

BobDee

You are unlikely to get a response to an email, particularly in France. It would be better to send a recorded letter with avis de reception.

You could try the equivalent of the Citizens Advice Bureau who could at least point you in the right direction. They have a website which will tell you your nearest branch. We have used them and found them to be extremely helpful as regards legal advice.

www.clcv.org

Cathy, if it is relevant can you PM me about the country of manufacture please. We have a number of electric blankets for guests and i would like to get them checked.

In the UK last year the fire brigade held several electric blanket amnesty days where retired folk could get a free replacement blanket after theirs were tested for safety as the number of dangerous ones in circulation was so high. That was not mainly down to manufacture but just wear and tear.

I do think its a bit unfair to generalise "far east" as that is a vast area and just because we don't make many things theses days.

[quote user="teapot"]

That was not mainly down to manufacture but just wear and tear.

[/quote]

The blanket has only been in use for less than one year. It seems as though the internal plastic insulation around the heating element has become brittle with the heat.

BobD

[quote user="BobDee"]Clearly the blanket could have caused a very very serious fire and even a death had the bed been occupied at the time.[/quote]Sorry to hear of the near miss and a very long time since we last used one but isn't it the golden rule of electric blankets that you NEVER go to bed with them still turned on ?

Ernie, Technogy has advanced mightily these days. The fiendish devices have built in timers such that they alledgedly turn  themselves off after typically 2 hours, and have a setting that allows for all night use

All to lull you into a false sense of security. Teapot's fire brigade link is a good one to read.

BobD

I love my "and so to bed" blanket. I can keep it on all night. It gets put in the washing machine and just is so snug and warm. I do know people who are using really ancient ones though. My french neighbour had never heard of electric blankets, and was amazed.

"you plug it into the wall and lie on electric wires, just like a toaster!, you English are mad"

Yes, and proud to be;