For Sweet 17 and other word-lovers

Frecossais

One of the members of my French group asked me if I'd ever heard of the expression "s'appelait popette" (my interpretation of what she said).

Since I hadn't, I asked a French friend. The word is actually "saperlipopette", a very old word that was used to express surprise or amazement.

Maybe it's the equivalent of the English "Well, I never!" (Not that you hear that a lot nowadays.)

Anyway I bring it to your attention since I know you enjoy learning and using French expressions.

Frecossais, thank you so much.  Yes, such a very lovely word!

What can I give you in exchange that sounds a little like it except saloperie?

That means something like rubbish or things of no worth.  I first came across it when I was reading Marcel Pagnol's La Gloire de mon Père.  He was in a brocante with his father and they were negotiating to buy something or other (I forget what) and the father said the thing was a mere saloperie.

However, I don't recommend that you try that when you next bargain for something because the vendeur could very well be thoroughly offended [:P]

Alors saperlipopette! I like saloperie SW17, I suppose I could use it on my next visit to Emmaus. It could come from the same root as salopette, which means overalls

Cochonnerie is good too Chancer. It sounds very insulting. I looked it up and found "Il ne mange que des cochonneries." (He only eats junk food.)

Better be careful about calling anyone a cochon though, one of its meanings is sex maniac!

Betty you are well read. Can't find sabords even in my Larousse. When would you use mille sabords?

Sorry, Frecossais, I'm not well read at all, just playing! Mille Sabords is Captain Haddock's staple exclamation in Tintin. It has many variations:

Mille sabords!

Mille milliers de mille sabords!

Mille milliers de mille sabords de tonnerre de Brest!

and many others in similar vein. It probably only exists in Tintin and I think in English it becomes "blistering barnacles" although that's not a literal translation!

There's a neat exchange also in one of the Tintin books where Dupont and Dupond (the Thompson Twins, if you're more familiar with the English version) find a gold nugget - une pepite. Their exchanges in the books often involve spoonerisms or similar, and one of them gets a bit tongue tied and says "saperlipepite, une popette!"

I heard cochonnerie for the first time recently - our neighbour's dog comes for walks with us and often finds some disgusting skeleton or skull to chew, carries it all over. I usually tell his owner as sometimes he's sick afterwards. So she said that word, I thought it meant parts of the pig or sanglier which it usually is. But now I know - just rubbish food.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"] Mille sabords!

It probably only exists in Tintin and I think in English it becomes "blistering barnacles" although that's not a literal translation! [/quote]

The 'mille sabords'  is an annual event which takes place not far from us every autumn where second hand boats are on sale. It is quite an occasion usually lasting 3 or 4 days and thousands of people arrive en masse.

http://www.lemillesabords.com/actualite-96-le-mille-sabords.html

Sue

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]Sorry, Frecossais, I'm not well read at all, just playing! Mille Sabords is Captain Haddock's staple exclamation in Tintin. It has many variations:
Mille sabords!
Mille milliers de mille sabords!
Mille milliers de mille sabords de tonnerre de Brest!

and many others in similar vein. It probably only exists in Tintin and I think in English it becomes "blistering barnacles" although that's not a literal translation!

There's a neat exchange also in one of the Tintin books where Dupont and Dupond (the Thompson Twins, if you're more familiar with the English version) find a gold nugget - une pepite. Their exchanges in the books often involve spoonerisms or similar, and one of them gets a bit tongue tied and says "saperlipepite, une popette!"
[/quote]

My dictionary gives sabord as "port(hole)", mille sabords! as "shiver my timbers!"

It's also a bookshop (and a restaurant) in La Rochelle, another goodness knows how many restaurants and seaside shops all over France[:D] The Mille Sabords boat salon started in the 80's, IIRC, so I guess it took its name from Tintin, too.[;-)]