translation of statement for certifying identity

soupagirl

We are in the process of transferring some UK shares  from just in my OH's name to joint names, and have been asked to send documents proving my identity. I need to get the documents verified by Financial Advisor/Solicitor or Lawyer/Bank or Building Society Official/Embassy or Consular Official. So I am considering a visit to our bank for the purpose. The problem is that we have been provided with a very specific statement which needs to be written and signed by the bank official. In English obviously. And no-one in our bank speaks English. I want to provide them with an accurate French translation of the statement, so that they know exactly what they are signing, and I don't have a great deal of faith in Google Translate for this sort of official documentation. So please, is there any expert in 'legalese' English out there that could help me out?

The statement:

" I,(name of certifier), certify that this is an authentic copy of ( full name of investor)'s ( full description of document), as witnessed by me on (date of certification)."  

The certifier must sign the copy, stating their job title and professional address or their contact telephone number.

I know I could have a fair stab at it but I really need this to be spot on .

Many thanks in  anticipation  .                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Thanks for the reply woolybanana, it's much appreciated. However we've not had a lot of dealings with a notaire apart from the house purchase 20 years ago and a 'donation entre epoux', so he doesn't really know us at all. Which is why we are going to the bank, where I will  explain what they are signing, as you suggest.

Unfortunately when we rang the shares people in question they said it's not acceptable for the maire of our village to sign, which is a shame because he does know who we are and has helped in such situations in the past. 

WB said

'I do this regularly with my notaire, and simply explain to him what it is that he is signing. He is quite happy with this as he knows me well enough. He has never asked for a word for word translation. '

If you stop explaining what he is signing we could then call you Radar

I haven't replied so far because I have had poor experiences with French officials refusing to have anything to do with documents not written in French

If Clair or one of the other French people on the Forum doesn't come forward I will suggest a form of words

I do appreciate the replies, and thank you to all forum members who have taken the time to contribute.

I don't know whether I am any further forward, but it was worth a try....I have faith in the people on this forum, who have done a lot to help me in the past, and I try to reciprocate/contribute when I can, or feel I can offer something to a thread.

What a load of old bo**ocks these ar*e*oles like put you through !

I can't see that you need to precisely translate word for word, there a are no prescribed formulas and any official document which attests to your identity has to be acceptable.

Personally I'd say what you want is a certified legal translator and if you PM me I can give you a phone number.

Now then, Ernie, you have to know that various organizations do insist on set forms of words which have to be stuck to. I recently had to do with several different financial ones and each was different, ranging from just two words up to approximately what the OP has been asked for.

Local maires are no longer supposed to give proof of identity certificates, by the way.

One thing they did say was that they might need to contact my "witness", so I insisted in writing that they should use a fluent French speaker to do so, as a matter of courtesy.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Now then, Ernie, you have to know that various organizations do insist on set forms of words which have to be stuck to. I recently had to do with several different financial ones and each was different, ranging from just two words up to approximately what the OP has been asked for.

Local maires are no longer supposed to give proof of identity certificates, by the way

One thing they did say was that they might need to contact my "witness", so I insisted in writing that they should use a fluent French speaker to do so, as a matter of courtesy.[/quote]

This is the sort of thing I was referring to in an earlier post.

In our mairie there is a service for making cerified copies (or there used to be as these can no longer be insisted upon)

The person always refused to make copies of documents that weren't in French, even though I pointed out that all that was being cerified was that it was a true copy, and this had nothing to do with the validity of the information (in this case my degree certificate)