Clair, are you paying attention? Useful expressions!

mint

Chance, we don't bother with ne where I live, pas is enough to show the negative.

And, yes, he's saying he can't come for the walk because he has to get the salle ready for the concert and meal and drink afterwards.

It's a concert with guitars and other stringed instruments and will include some poetry and some songs and all in an occitan accent!

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My word, I thought people were incapable of communication around here but it seems even worse around you.

Lets forgive him the omission of the "ne", after all there is a pas in pourrais pas so he can't something, but what? Where is the verb venir?

So far we have that he "cant the walk" then what was it? I cant see it in this window, preparer la salle I think, so its "I cant the walk to prepare the salle" no "car" or "parce-que" without a because we dont know that what he cannot do is a consequence of something else.

The closest I could guess from the  message is that he cannot walk to the salle to prepare it, or he cannot prepare the salle (because) he cannot walk.

Is French this persons first language?

I just thank god that I took some formal lessons from someone that was very strict on grammar, that warned me against copying what I heard without understanding that the people were speaking very badly because I was beginning to sound ignorant myself.

[quote user="Chancer"]

hadn't heard of "snif" and I wonder whether its something that is said or perhaps is texto talk [/quote]

Hi all. Chancer is correct. The add-on "snif" is purely texto/SMS talk and may be perhaps Email. You wouldn't put this in a written mail nor in a conversation.

Child talk IMO.

... Du coup je pourrais pas à la marche pour préparer la salle ..... This is from someone that I walk with but we have a concert and chilli con carne (very French[:P]) at the salle and I understand that he has to set out lighting, chairs, tables, etc.

There is a verb missing in that phrase.

Du coup je pourrais pas (aller) à la marche pour préparer la salle

the ommission of "ne" in je (ne) pourrai pas etc. is common spoken language. Shows lack of education (basic for that) when written.

I quite agree, Chancer, about the incoherence of the message as quoted, but thought either mint had missed out the odd word in recopying it, or the original text had been written in such a hurry to mint that the texter had missed out a few words but that she had guessed the gist.

Bizarrely, I think you can sometimes use "pouvoir" in the negative without the "pas" (as in "Je ne peux venir") but, as you say, I have never seen it written with the pas only. That said, in familiar speech one might slither past the "ne" without pronouncing it.

To go back to "snif", it is just a written expression of a sad little sniff that one might give when delivering a bit of bad news. Not seriously bad news, like a death or something; just "Can't come fishing after all, snif" sort of thing. I see it used quite often on French-language forums or Facebook posts.

Angela

PS. I took so long writing this, that Eric has popped by with his much more succinct reply!

I suppose he could have written je ne pourrais pas venir à la marche afin que je puisse préparer la salle but then the snif would be out of place, wouldn't it?[:P]

We all talk just like that around here and it worries me now that Chance couldn't understand it whilst I just skimmed the message and "got" it straightaway!

I suppose it's because I knew about the walk and that someone would have to do the cooking and other preparations for the salle to be ready for tonight.  Isn't that what we all do between friends, take short cuts because we are on the same wavelength?

Some of the textos I receive definitely need a bit of working out though the meaning of this one seems evident to me.

[quote user="Loiseau"]I quite agree, Chancer, about the incoherence of the message as quoted, but thought either mint had missed out the odd word in recopying it, or the original text had been written in such a hurry to mint that the texter had missed out a few words but that she had guessed the gist.

Bizarrely, I think you can sometimes use "pouvoir" in the negative without the "pas" (as in "Je ne peux venir") but, as you say, I have never seen it written with the pas only. That said, in familiar speech one might slither past the "ne" without pronouncing it.

To go back to "snif", it is just a written expression of a sad little sniff that one might give when delivering a bit of bad news. Not seriously bad news, like a death or something; just "Can't come fishing after all, snif" sort of thing. I see it used quite often on French-language forums or Facebook posts.

Angela

PS. I took so long writing this, that Eric has popped by with his much more succinct reply![/quote]

Au contraire, Angela, I have copied it with great care and checked that all the words are in order![:D]

I suppose the French take liberties with their own language as we do ours!

Don't forget he is writing to people he knows well and poor chap doesn't realise that his message would be in public circulation!

In one of my walking groups, (the one with 4 retired teachers), I am said to be the person who uses the most elegant language (très litéraire) and that I always use words that no one else in the group does!!!  I just KNOW that's no compliment!  They mean to say that my speech is too formal or stilted or old-fashioned or pas courant[:-))]

Pierre, the leader, often tells me that he wishes he could speak English as I could French!  I refrain, but I, just as often think, God help you if that's all the English you could speak!  But, we understand each other most of the time, that is to say, I understand him more often than he does me.......oh, la, la![blink]

[quote user="Loiseau"]... I have never seen it written with the pas only.[/quote]

Bizarrely enough I have seen and heard it often from (well-educated) friends so it must be acceptable in day-to-day speech and writing, especially in emails. But I do stress that these are friends.

Sue

And for my part I was getting so hung up on what was missing I forgot that it was written in the imparfait.

I hate text speak with a vengeance, I always use punctuation and accents, having predictive text and spellcheck helps and sending messages correctly has taught me a lot of French especially words I have (mis)heard and have tried to spell incorrectly.

I use the word text speak because sadly some people do speak like that innit!

I had a lodger in the UK that would write a note or even a long message for me on paper but in text speak, woz, coz, ru, cldnt etc [:(] it used to rive me madn he was a 40 year old bloke not a teenager.

[quote user="Chancer"]

And for my part I was getting so hung up on what was missing I forgot that it was written in the imparfait.

[/quote]

Actually, I think he means to use the futur simple (pourrai in the first person singular) though he has added a redundant "s".

Imparfait would be je pouvais, wouldn't it?

Anyway, it HAS to be the future because he wrote the message yesterday and the concert and walk are today![:)]

Sorry, I meant the conditionel, in any case the guy sounds like a nightmare when you cant work out what he is trying to say, whether its what he didnt, cannot, would not or will not but without knowing the verb, I would simply block him as a sender and the jobs a good un.

I chat quite a bit online as well as boring people I trap in cafés, so this sort of semi texto is famliar...

Snif is like 'sniff' when you make a mock crying 'uh uh' sound to show that you are ironically sad [:(]

Almost nobody uses 'ne' in chat...'j'p pas..'is what you hear..or 'c'pas' rather than Je ne peux pas or je ne sais pas.

This is street French, not correct but common. It is important to know the register you are working in, so that you can match it.

Normally one wouldn't say

"Casse-toi pauv' con" in a formal context but of course Sarkozy who has the elegance of a warthog in his expression distinguished himself by using the phrase to a farmer:

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casse-toi,_pauv'_con_!

thereby bringing the function of President into disrepute.  He himself could hardly be brought into disrepute given what a 'voyou' he is...

Managed to use snif in an email today, what a frimeuse!

As the weather doesn't look at all promising and as we are going away (faire un petit dépaysement) this weekend and there are things to do, I have begged off the walk this afternoon.

So I wrote to Pierre, our leader, je fais pas la marche ni cet après-midi, ni demain, SNIFF!

Hooray!  It always pleases me when I am able to make use of a newly-learnt word because, once I have used a word, I "own" it and I remember it[:D]

Thank you to everyone who always helps me on this thread, notamment Betty, Norman and Chancer.

YES, Betty!  I have often used this expression that you taught many moons ago and they always smile or laugh outright[8-)]

I have thought it just simply means de rien or pas du tout or something along those lines so I am not sure as to why they always seem to find it amusing?

[quote user="Loiseau"]QUOTE MINT

So I wrote to Pierre, our leader, je fais pas la marche ni cet après-midi, ni demain, SNIFF!

END QUOTE

Those fs seem to be escalating there, mint! Only one f in French sniffing...

Angela[/quote]

Yes, loiseau, I did only use ONE f in the original email, don't know why I have put two here.....but it's the switching between the 2 languages in the post that has confused me.  Mind you, I am VERY easily confused these days, so much so, that I am getting slightly worried about it, snif![:D]

Came across a new word today which many of you will already know.

Had a mail message today, asking me to go for a dépistage........and, no, it has nothing to do with taking the pi§§ though I suppose that could also be on the cards?

Late last year, I had some weeks of contact with a migrant who has now been discovered to be suffering from TB.  Apparently, it's le loi that I am offered this dépistage.  I understand that it involves having a blood test and an X-ray.

But, what a truly "lovely" sort of a word that can lead one to imagine all the sorts of ridiculous things it could mean but doesn't[:D]

Anyone can think of other words that stimulate the imagination but give you a totally erroneous picture?

LOL mint, you have taken me back, I learned that word early on in my time in France, what with the AIDS 'out break'. That word was on TV all the time.  Learnt a lot of new words then, some I don't think I knew in english probably still don't.

Must put my specs on, thought that last sentence said erogenous not erroneous.......... somewhat of a difference......... or maybe that is how my mind works as you had used that word 'stimulate' [Www]

LOL mint! The word you mention always seemed to me to be possibly connected with the kind of "pistes" you would ski down, and I just could not see the sense!!

My mind has gone a bit blank re other words at the moment, but once I have eaten my Chou-fleur au gratin maybe my brain will be functioning again!

Angela

[quote user="mint"]Came across a new word today which many of you will already know.

Had a mail message today, asking me to go for a dépistage........and, no, it has nothing to do with taking the pi§§ though I suppose that could also be on the cards?

Late last year, I had some weeks of contact with a migrant who has now been discovered to be suffering from TB.  Apparently, it's le loi that I am offered this dépistage.  I understand that it involves having a blood test and an X-ray.

But, what a truly "lovely" sort of a word that can lead one to imagine all the sorts of ridiculous things it could mean but doesn't[:D]

Anyone can think of other words that stimulate the imagination but give you a totally erroneous picture?

[/quote]

Years ago my wife was teaching French (night classes) at the local college. In that class was an old man whose French was pretty good but as you will see, still lacked fluency.

During the verbal exchanges, he told the classroom that he had had a French lady penpal for many many years.

Travelling to France in order to meet the said friend for their first time, they had agreed to meet at one of the big rail stations in Paris.

When they recognised each other on the platform, he opened his arms and told her (in French) .... "Viens que je te baise..." .... The French Lady was somehow taken aback, too polite to tell him that he should have said "viens que je te bise ...."

Hey, guys, perhaps I shouldn't have made a joke about the dépistage!  It seems they are taking it extremely seriously.

Have had a message today from someone du centre de lutte antituberculeuse du conseil départemental de la Dordogne, giving me a time to meet and asking me for details of my medicin traitant!

Needless to say, I googled TB and also, predictably, I am now riddled with all the symptoms described.  Suddenly remembering all those sleepless nights when I coughed to keep corpses awake and the knees are deffo giving way and feeling very weak![:P]

Can we now have some words that have nothing to do with death or sickness, please, please, please?

Edit:  sorry, so as no one is worrying, I should have said that the original person "est actuellement soigné et va bien".  It's just me then that you should all be worrying about?[I]

Hey, Mint, I went through all that a while ago in UK and despite convincing myself I had all the symptoms, I was cleared of having TB.

I taught for 2 summers in a TB hospital in the children's ward; when I first arrived I thought that some children looked really healthy - but they were the poorliest children, looked healthy but were flushed because they were running high temperatures.

Both summers were a delight; teaching a little to children who felt well, taking walks in the grounds every afternoon with those who felt up to a little walk - playing poohsticks each day. Happy memories!

I'm sure you'll turn out to be absolutely fine - but keep us up to date please.