second -hand prices

Patf

Why is it that prices for second - hand goods in France are so high? That is , in comparison to uk. Most of the stuff in brocantes seems to be overpriced tat, second hand cars are surprisingly highly priced, old tractors, cultivators etc hold their price well, and as for pianos - well I'm speechless at what they ask . I sold a beautiful piano in uk before we left and have been trying to replace it. What is it about the french attitude to material things that makes them keep their financial value? Pat.

Couldn't agree more. We regularly visit 3 or 4 brocantes/depot ventes and in most the prices are ludicrous. We even had one old couple who clocked that we arrived in a Volvo estate, assumed that we were dealers and went round turning price labels over just ahead of us, asking several times if we were dealers and quoting prices even more inflated than those marked.

I'm not sure where you are, but we have found one good place at Ducey (Manche) and another at Ouistreham (Calvados). Apart from that, zilch. And the vide-greniers are even worse!

I have often wondered about this - even when times I difficult for 'antique' type trade (now !!)French sellers seem remarkably reluctant to reduce the price of their stock.

Two things come to mind, one that some of the stuff is not theirs but on commision and the other that their social charges are based on what they think they will get, so reducing the price leaves them with two shortfalls (if you see what I mean).

Generally (always dangerous) I think that the French have a different attitude to customer satisfaction and I guess the expression 'The customer is always right' is not one you hear coming from a French seller too often !

Dick - thanks for the suggestions but we are down in the Gers. I will keep looking but am slowly giving up hope. It's not much dearer to buy a new piano. Gay, I see that it may be due to social charges, but prices are just as silly on ebay, where ther are no overheads. Pat.

Okay, I have a piano worry now.

Our piano cost £80 from Oxfam.   When we move house in a couple of weeks we're going to have to get rid of it, because there just won't be room for it.   It has (I think) a very nice tone, it just needs tuned.

I was ready to phone Emmaus to come and get it, until neighbours all said MAIS NON!!!

Now I don't know what to do with it!   Do you really think a 1930s iron-framed upright piano is worth more now in France than when I bought it in the UK 7 years ago?

I'm from Barthelona, I know nahthing about pianos

SB - look on ebay.fr and ebay.co.uk to compare prices. There is a big difference. I would hang on to it if you possibly can as you'll never replace it in France for that kind of price. Or ask a friend with lots of room to look after it for you. Pat.

• 3 weeks later...
I was shocked at prices of secondhand goods and furniture.

Antique furniture is very expensive - I reckon it's because most is eaten by woodworm or other wood eating bugs. Even the stuff on sale is wormy.

Brocantes are not exactly cheap but I find the Troc prices more reasonable. I wonder if skips and rubbish dumps have been invented/discovered in France as there is a lot of absolute junk about.

I find Vide Greniers good - what seems to work is to offer 50% of what is asked and when they decline walk away. Either then or when you walk past again they settle for this amount.

If the tat in the Brocs and Trocs actually sells there is a living to be made bringing over what general auctions in UK cannot sell and is sent to the tip.

I was in Vannes the other week and found just what I had been looking for so we went back with the trailer on the Saturday and found even more treasure.  Well, had a trailer to fill.

Must agree that prices are high and also find, near me at least, that furniture is being passed over in favour of second hand videos, books, records etc and even new furniture.  The Troc seemed empty.

It is also trés fashionable for the French huppies to buy up the old stuff and, leaving it in its original state, re-capture the 'old' France in their homes.

2nd hand car prices seem rational to me in France. They decline in a farly flat line over 12 to 15 years. The UK 2nd had car market is dominated by large manufacturers selling to the company car and leased car market.

I have only ever scraped cars because the body work has rusted out or been damaged in an accident.The Peugeot 306 HDI I run has 185,000 kilometres on it and will be 4 years old in November. 25 years ago I ran a Datsun 1600SSS in Kenya and an MG 1300 in the UK both with over 200,000 kilometres on them. The MG needed a new clutch at 180,000 ks. Both would run at 130 kph for hours on end, both would start on the button after two months sat in an airport car park.

Anton Redman ( PS Isabel used to run a Holden Toranna with similar mileage )