Voluntary Work in France? Does it Exist??

Lyndford

Not sure what heading this comes under but I'll try 'culture' as the others seem even less appropriate.

I've been in Social Work most of my life in the U.K. and now, having retired early, I do quite alot of voluntary work eg assisting stroke patients who have lost their speech to start to communicate again; visiting isolated elderly in their own homes etc.etc.

We are relocating permanently to S-W France in the spring and I've heard conflicting stories about the (non) availability of voluntary work, with which I'd like to continue. I've looked in 'Pages Jaunes' and can only find the equivalent of V.S.O. (Voluntary Work Overseas) for young people on gap years. Is there anything like eg Age Concern with lunch clubs in the community, or The Stroke Association, over there? Only I don't want to arrive and find I've not got enough to do! My French is fairly fluent.

Thanks in advance for any help on this!

Lyndford, an excellent question and an area that I too am interested in.  Part of me thinks there must be demand for voluntary workers, and I seem to remember TeamedUp once mentioning that due to lack of priests in her area a benevole even assisted at a funeral service.  (Correct me if I've got that wrong, TU.)  But apart from organisations that are affiliated to the local church, where would one go to look? 

Margaret

You could try asking in your Mairie, and those in neighbouring villages, if there are any local support groups.   I think there's one in our village, that lonely old people can call.

There's almost certainly something around in France, but more often I hear the message that "if a job's worth doing, it's worth being paid for". 

The only voluntary work that I know of is in Gorron (Mayenne) where they sort out Books (French & English) and materials (old computers tvs etc) for shipping out to charities in Africa.

I know this is not what you are thinking of but at least it shows you that it must be possible to find another organisation close to you?

Best place is check in the Mairie

[quote]As far as I know (please feel free to correct this) the answer is no, because it is homeless people who work for them in exchange for shelter & food.[/quote]

Sorry but you said "feel free to do so"

With all the best will in the world, the poor sods in need of Emmaus may or may not man the vans and on ocasion help in the warehouses but the "staff" in the 3 Emmaus warehouses we know, are all volunteers or low salaried part time staff. It is not only the homeless that gain from Emmaus.

One can become a volunteer worker for Emmaus and many people do indeed do just that

Take a butchers at the following :

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.emmaus-france.org/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Demmaus%2Bfrance%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D

http://www.jeveuxaider.com/ might give you some ideas.

In my area (24/87/19) the only example of the sort of thing you are talking about that I've come across is visitors to old peoples' homes and hospitals, and it's a very bourgeois activity - unless of course you are visiting people you know - and neighbours as well as family do this. A lot of people are cared for in the community and a lot of families and neighbours give each other help and support in times of crisis - illness, injury or whatever... I have come across no organised support within my community but a lot of caring nonetheless. This is however a rural area and in towns I am assured that there are organised charities.

Associations like dog clubs are run by volunteers too. It's not what you have in mind, I realise. Again, such things are based in towns, in my experience at least.

what about resto du coeur , le croix rouge ,les Paralysés de France(APF)les associatons regional ie les Paquerettes,Don Bosco, les Genêts d'or,les papillons blancs or some écoles primaire,publiques and private,to help with homework etc although it will depend on the individual director the list is endless

"visitors to old peoples' homes and hospitals, and it's a very bourgeois activity

As it is in the UK, Pucette, though hope we're not applying a negative slant to "bourgeois" here?  After all, not everyone has sufficient time on their hands to do this.  I've actually volunteered for hospital visiting in the past for as you may have noticed I like to chat.  It's gratefully received, Ward sisters identify those in need of a visitor, you just sit by the bed and natter. Actually, it's just the thing I'll need to keep up the French conversation when back in France.  Thanks for mentioning this, I must bear this in mind. 

Margaret

In the UK I came across befriending schemes which involved people of all ages from a wide variety of backgrounds, and a lot of students.

I don't have anything against any class - or women of a certain age, which all the volunteer visitors I've come across here are... the style of visits is not befriending, very much lady-of-the-manor descends; I can only hope that if I'm ever on the receiving end I'll have adapted sufficiently by then to appreciate it, at present it would go down like a dish of andouillettes...

If you have use of a car I'm sure there will be a demand for giving lifts to people. In fact I think I've seen a notice somewhere here but can't remember where. This is not the most satisfying of volunteer jobs and you will probably lose out financially with the cost of petrol etc. You could also try your local church. There is a catholic organisation here which needs volunteers to hand out bags outside supermarkets for donations of food to poor people. Then they distribute the food. Pat.

Try your local 'Banque Alimentaire' or 'Restos de Coeur', they are always looking for people to dish out food. Or drive vans. Try the Secours Populaire, the Secours Catholique and the Red Cross; Try the Mairie. Try the local Maison de Quartier ot Association de Loisirs. Look at your Marie for a booklet with all the sport clubs, local associations and suchlike listed (we have one in St Lo, which is not exactly a thriving metropolis). Ask at the local hospital. Look in the doctor's surgery, often leaflets there.

I live in Burgundy, Cote D'Or (21).

I help at an after school homework club. Listening to the children read and helping with homework especially English. It is run by a group called MJC Maison Jeunes Culturels, of which most villages and towns in 21 have.

It is something I enjoy as in England I had helped in schools and been a Guide Leader.